About Papilio polytes, the subspecies and mimetic form romulus

Greetings.
I’m looking for updated information about Papilio polytes (Common Mormon).
There’s been several genetic studies for this species recently and the full genome was sequenced. I’m trying to find out how many subspecies are considered valid today and what’s going on with romulus in particular, being cited both as a subspecies and a female mimetic form. I’m getting contradictory information with some sources listing several subspecies (NCBI, BOLDsystems), others just one or two (GBIF for example).
If I understand correctly, in the paper below, it says P. polytes consists of two subspecies: P. polytes polytes and P. polytes alphenor. Is it right? Any help with this will be strongly appreciated.
(PDF) Tracing the origin and evolution of supergene mimicry in butterflies (researchgate.net)

Anyway on iNaturalist, the taxon page says Papilio polytes f. romulus so I think it’s better to stick with the mimetic form rather than the subspecies, otherwise it’s just too confusing.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.