Add Annotation-Related Rules to Traditional Projects

I suggest a new rule for traditional projects: Annotation [annotation name] must be annotated as [annotation value].
This would require an observation to be annotated in a certain way to be added to a traditional project. [annotation name] would be a drop down menu, where the project editor could choose which annotation must be filled out. [annotation value] would be a check list of all the possible values for that annotation. If the project editor selected “life stage” for [annotation name] and checked off “juvenile”, “nymph”, and “larva” for [annotation value], then the project would only accept observations where life stage was marked as juvenile, nymph, or larva. If every option in [annotation value] is checked, then the project would accept any value for the annotation as long as a value was chosen.

I think that already exists. I know I’ve seen projects that use it:

1 Like

That one’s a Collection style project. I see there is only the Observation Fields option for Traditional projects:

1 Like

Observation fields aren’t ideal. I’m trying to make use of the new alive/dead annotations in my dead mammals, herps, and fish projects. (Though, the projects could be considered obsolete now that the annotations exist. I might convert them to collection projects once all the observations in the projects are annotated properly.)

1 Like

I thought it would be the same, because I think that was a regular project that was converted to a collection project (I know I used to have to manually add observations to it, before it changed, but I don’t remember if the life stage annotation was required for the terms and rules at that time).

I wonder why annotations are not an option on traditional projects.

2 Likes

It would be wonderful to have this FR accepted.