Additional wrong location for a single observation in the map

Platform : Website

Browser : Firefox

URLs: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/65631375

Screenshots of what you are seeing :

Description of problem :

The map shows both the larger drop-like icon for the current observation in the above web page, and the same observation on another location north west of it, which was clicked to illustrate the problem in the screenshot above.

This second location north west of the other is not correct and should not exist.

I had this problem before and it disappeared less than 1 day after I had mentioned it, while I was reporting it to iNaturalist staff by e-mail ; at the end it was not clear to me if any action had been taken. This time the problem has persisted over at least 3 days.

I am not able to reproduce the issue, though I am on my phone and it’s quite hard to navigate the website maps with a touchscreen.

Does this issue only exist for the website?

It may also be worth noting that this species is endangered and thus obscured. Because of that I am removing the image so as not to reveal its location.

I have also been having this issue. I kept having to go back in and change the location, eventually that fixed it, but it is a recurring issue.

The map shows all observations of the current Community ID taxon. This is not a bug, but expected functionality.
The three points on the map are three separate observations.
Because all three local observations of the species are obscured, the locations of the pins are randomly chosen within the obscuration area / box.

Is it supposed to work that same way with observations that aren’t obscured? There have been two distinct points in the past, completely different locations, but the exact same observation. At least from my experience anyway.

Yes. If you have a case where the map displays the same observation twice, please share it. That’s not the case in the observation odole shared, though.

There’re only 3 circles of 3 separate observations, as an author of observation that is hidden because of animal vulnerability you will see both true and “hidden” spots of that observation on the map, but other than that there shouldn’t be other poits and we can’t replicate that.

Sorry, there is no solution yet. The bug is there ; this presentation is far from expected. This is an observation I have entered. There is only one observation of mine for that species. Yet in the same map associated with that URL for that single observation, I see the observation shown twice, both in the right location (large drop-like icon ; a location near Dephi), and in another location northwest (smaller circle), just as shown in the screenshot. There are other locations in the map depending on the zoom, which are observations by others that are shown as expected.
Possibly this is a bug only presented to the observer (??), but it is not expected, not meaningful either.

Here is the screenshot again, taken just now ; it is exactly like before

And here without clicking on the second unexpected observation :

Hi @odole, iNat showing both the true pinpoint + the obscured circle marker on individual observation pages and the “Edit Observations” page, is (unfortunately) working as designed, so this isn’t a bug.

There is a feature request to show only the true locations on the cached map tiles when you have permission to view them (because it’s your own observation or because the person has trusted you with the coordinates).

3 Likes

Hi @bouteloua thank you I think I understand now but then probably an alert should be sent or shown to the observer each time this is designed to happen. In any case concerning the endangered status, my observation is very old. Who knows if the species is still there.

It’s written there each time if the taxon is hidden and there’s a difference in how true and hidden spots are shown (normal circle with central spots and automatic little circles without spots in them), so it’s easy to recognise, species status is not changed for old observations.

1 Like

By “There” do you mean by clicking “Details” ?.That is not what I would call an alert, a warning. In “Details” one usually finds coordinates and extra geographical data; why would you expect someone to search in there for new, unusual kinds of information ? And warnings are not details.

Working as designed; see related feature request: "View true locations on maps for observations with trusted hidden coordinates "