Anyone know good nature podcasts?

I’m kind of surprised that no one has mentioned this one yet:

Science Rules - Host Bill Nye the Science Guy!

Also, for survival in general:

The Survivalist Preppers Podcast

Stuff You Should Know (general information that people should know about)

Blackout (it’s a drama story about America going without electricity - does have explicit language though) - I’ve listened to the first episode (it’s pretty good).

Also, the Chernobyl Podcast for the mini-series on HBO.

13 Minutes to the Moon - BBC World Science (About the Apollo missions).

All of these should be on iTunes and any other podcasts service.

Does anyone know of any for fungi?

1 Like

Fungi Town (it’s also available on Apple Podcasts and presumably others)

2 Likes

hi, welcome to the forum! :)

1 Like

Adding a few more to the thread:

• Several fascinating episodes on This Is Love. Yellowstone Wolves. Aggressive bison near SLC. Love of nature and Prairie Warblers. Must listen.

• Cryptinaturalist. Zany monologues featuring a variety of cryptids. I can barely tell what is going on but it’s hilarious.

• I second Off Track @oneanttofew! Some of the best around. If you don’t listen to the underwater acoustic episode and then run out and buy an underwater microphone, I don’t even know what.

• Common Land. Creation stories of protected landscapes.

• Brain On Nature. If you like Florence Williams, you’ll like this. Brain injury. Nature. Great audio production.

• The Wild. On location nature stories from around the world.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to:
Trees are Key with Paul Johnson.
For the Wild with Ayana Young

Also
Crime Pays But Botany Doesn’t — this guy is amazing and hilarious. He also has a youtube channel. Those are even better than the podcast.

Bob

4 Likes

There are several.

Bird Note
Laura Erickson’s For the Birds
Johnathan Byrd’s Blue World
The American Birding Association pod cast
Roger Tory Peterson Podcast field guide

There’s a new one called Bird Brag: Nature & Stuff. Try it out. It’s mostly birds, but also sometimes covers other animals and topics.

Birdbrag.podbean.com

It’s also on most of the other portals.

I just started a new podcast with fellow naturalist, Glenn Etter called The Single Acorn. Each season focuses on a broad natural history topic (currently: Symbiosis, next up: Scat), with each episode digging into a topic within the category (currently predator/prey relationships).

3 Likes

I enjoy Tristan Gooley’s The Pursuit of Outdoor Clues; each episode is usually about 40 minutes in length and the listener accompanies him on a walk through the English countryside - learning about animals, tracking & navigational clues in nature.

It can be found on the usual platforms, including Apple, Spotify, Stitcher etc.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I really enjoy his books but I didn’t know he had a podcast!

1 Like

It isn’t strictly a podcast but Ray Brown’s Talkin’ Birds is cool. I was a guest on an episode a few weeks ago talking about my volunteer work as an eBird reviewer.

2 Likes

Hi check out my Wildlife Man Podcast
Cheers David Ireland

I’m not finding it on either of my podcast apps. Is “wildlife man” the official title?

I recommend NATURALLY ADVENTUROUS

2 Likes

Have you tried this one?
Naturally adventurous. Real adventure stories by two nature nuts. Feels like you are sitting around a camp fire.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2YS9IM5JMONb5S4SD7zyiS?si=8rs9lUCPTyWUt_ElHP5sZw

2 Likes

I think these are the new hot nature guys on the block.

1 Like

I’ve really been enjoying the Nature Guys podcast that’s already been mentioned. What I like is that they’re from the midwest US and each episode usually focuses on one of the plants or animals that are easily seen in the area. It’s not about travelling the globe in search of rare species.

Several of the gardening podcasts are also good for us “backyard naturalists”. Many focus on organic gardening techniques and have episodes on native plants, creating habitat, birdwatching, protecting the soil food web, etc. They’ll often do interviews with people like Doug Tallamy who’s an entomologist that writes books about creating or preserving wildlife habitat at your home. Two of the gardening podcasts I like are A Way to Garden and The Joe Gardener Show.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! That looks like a good tip. :)

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, That sounds like a good one to try also.

1 Like