Are dogs more reactive to photographers?

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. For the dogs it’s likely not specifically about photographers or photography, but instead that they have detected unusual or unexpected activity/behavior within the specific context. (Someone not walking, not standing, not moving, etc.) Though it varies by individual, fear of the unknown is a pretty universal response, and dogs are no exception.

I will say, though, that my own dogs start feeling deprived of attention the instant my camera comes to my eye (and isn’t focused on them). :sweat_smile: :dog2:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s hogwash. I see it all the time with some of my own cats. They’re all Greta Garbos, they don’t like cameras. While they accompany me on my shooting sprees in the neighbourhood, as soon as I dare point the lens at them, they dash off. Not all of them, granted; the other half enjoys the attention and actually gest in the way, bumping their heads against mine or against the camera while I am trying to get the DOF right.
As for dogs, I think I can understand them. Humans normally walk on two legs, the majority does not grouch, crawl, or lie on the ground. While holding a strange object, at that. Even worse, an unfamiliar object with threatening things sticking off (macro gear). I have seen such irrational behaviour in my dogs too – a shape, a rock or shade in a bush may look weird enough to them for their hairs to raise and their bodies to stiffen, ready for anything, unsure if they need to run or attack. It helps to explain and just show them. The second they recognize the harmlessness of the ‘thing’, their interest dies off and they go back minding their own business.
In general, with dogs that I am unfamiliar with and that behave in such an aggressive-insecure way, I speak softly, in a friendly voice, smiling (that’s so very important!), and move slowly, increasing distance. That has so far always defused the situation.

EDIT: Dogs too hate having to admit they’ve been wrong. As you move away, the dog may still bark at your back on and off even as it is retreating itself. As if saying, ‘Don’t you do that again, you hear me.’ Just let it go. :-)

1 Like

So very, very true!!!

1 Like

I think you are right in that that EYE may have in fact something to do with them preferring to take off.

As for dogs, I think you err in assuming that any attention will reinforce that behaviour. Try the opposite approach: acknowledge the dogs and its worries, SMILE at it (they know how to interpret human facial expressions) and speak friendly while slowly moving away. That means you are not dangerous, actually friendly, minding your own business (moving away), giving the dog the permission to do the same.

1 Like

I think some animal (human or otherwise) crouching down in the vegetation or sneaking around off-trail could easily look like a potential threat to a dog, especially fearful/protective ones. Crouching and sneaking up on things probably looks like predatory behavior to a dog and many do it themselves to other dogs or animals. Some breeds have been selected for it. Watch a herding dog and they crouch before charging and nipping at the animals they’re herding. So suddenly being confronted with a human crouching down might trigger a fight-or-flight response in some dogs. I think the best way to handle it is to straighten yourself up, turn your body so that it is facing the dog and talk to it in a calm voice but don’t stare at it. Let the dog know you’re just a normal human and no threat. Desensitizing and training the dog not to react like this to other people even if they behave strangely in the dog’s eyes is the owner’s job.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.