Batch-flagging identifications made by a single user

I’m looking for a way to mass flag identifications by a single user. A few months ago, this user began ‘Agreeing’ to IDs on almost every observation in my project. That changed multiple observations to ‘Research Grade’ when in fact they were not. Many were only tentatively identified by us.

I’ve flagged his IDs a few times but nothing happened. I requested him to stop too, of course that didn’t work either. He’s since abandoned his account after making over 7000 identifications and I don’t know how to report this to the admins.

I’ve experienced that too, with the same user. Fortunately the number of observations affected was smaller, and I could check them individually as “can still be improved - yes” to get them back to needs-id.

I expect that setting this flag on a batch of your observations may be your only realistic option. The user didn’t outright violate the TOS, as annoying as the IDs were.

Here’s me trying to engage them after they reflexively agreed to every new suggestion: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/13166024

2 Likes

@schoenitz unfortunately in our case he’s identified a few hundred of our observations, so individually flagging them would take forever. I was told that that he didn’t violate the TOS but his actions significantly affects the quality of the data in my project.

How do I do this?

I’m not sure this helps, but iNat’s Privacy Policy says (in part):

We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children or knowingly allow children to purchase goods or memberships through Our Website and Apps. Visitors 12 years of age and younger must obtain a parent or guardian’s permission before submitting any personal information to this or any other website or App. In the event that We learn that We have received any personal information from a visitor 12 years of age or younger, and We do not receive parental permission within a reasonable period of time of Our request for it, We will delete that information as quickly as possible. If You believe that We might have information from or about a child 12 years of age or younger, please contact Us at help@inaturalist.org. (The profile says 10 years old.)

I do not know how, other than one by one – I though that this however would be a more fruitful feature request.

But looking at @paloma’s last message, the age issue could also lead somewhere, and more quickly.

I dont want to discourage you, but just be aware that flagging them identifications may not be the best way to approach this. It does not change the impact of their ‘vote’.

Curators can neither edit nor delete an identification from another user. And additonally curators should not enter an identification to offset it unless they themselves are able to do the ID.

Reaching out directly to the site via the help email at help@inaturalist.org is likely a better and less frustrating use of your time.

4 Likes

Thank you @schoenitz. Appreciate you taking the time to look that up @paloma.

I didn’t realise that flagged observations go to curators. I assumed they would go to admins. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll email the site directly. I think that’s the best way to go about this.

2 Likes