This wiki is for creating or adding to bee and wasp checklists for all iNat. Places.
Create checklists (examples in links)
- Find sources, and check if any more spp. have been observed on iNat or Bug Guide to add (combine lists). Go to iNat Explore, search location and taxon, and click Species to see observed taxa.
- Go to Homepage: More: Places, search location in results, and click View checklist page on bottom left.
- Search taxon (e.g. Bees) in the taxon bar on middle of right. Paste spp. into Add or Batch on top right (easiest if from an Excel-like column with only Genus species), or use CSV files. Add subspecies where applicable, and genus or subgenus if species isn’t known.
- Fix problems when spp. can’t be found. Use lookup search, search external name databases, and Add. Create curation requests for spp. which can’t be added to iNat (in Curation box on right side of a taxon page).
- There’s no concern of duplicates when adding spp. to the same list, so multiple sources can be added over time.
- See below for formatting to add lists here. Add links for your: list (after searching for taxon, e.g. bees), citations (add iNat when it also contributed new spp.), and add links/notes about spp. which can’t be added to iNat or run into other technical issues (see below).
- Go to Identify, search a location, click Suggestions, and filter by State or country, genus, and checklist, to show all species including ones without observations.
- Go to the map on a species taxon page. The shaded regions show where species have only been recorded in a checklist.
Sources for creating new checklists
- Michigan - anyone have access to pdf?
- United States specialists only, split in 3 regions
- Georgia (country)
- Europa Island - Place needs to be created, full checklist
- iNat bee and wasp Guides (verify if these are complete) 1, 2
Bees (iNat= observations contributed new records)
- Comoros (21; 6 need to move to bee taxon) 
- Equatorial Guinea: Boiko (2) 
- Guinea-Bissau (8) 
- Mauritius (12; some need to move to bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Mayotte (3) 
- Réunion (7; 1 needs to move to bee taxon) 
- Rodrigues (3) 
- Seychelles (16; 3 need to move into bee taxon) 
- Bahrain (4; 1 needs to move to bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Borneo (31) [1, iNat] - incomplete, need to add spp.
- Christmas Island (6) [1, iNat]
- China: Macao (26) [1, iNat]
- Maldives (8) [1, iNat]
- Qatar (8; some need to move to bees taxon; 1 to add) [1, iNat]
- Timor-Leste (15; 2 need to move to bee taxon) [1, 2, iNat]
- Andorra (23; 1 needs to move to bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Kingdom of Denmark: Faroe Islands (6) [1, iNat]
- Gibraltar (2) 
- Iceland (6) [1, iNat]
- Monaco (3) [1, iNat]
- San Marino (4) [1, iNat]
- Anguilla (7; 1 not in bee taxon) 
- Antigua and Barbuda (3) 
- Barbados (8; 1 to move to bee taxon) 
- Bermuda (3; 1 not in bee taxon) 
- British Virgin Islands (15; 3 to add to iNat) 
- Cayman Islands (4; 1 not in bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Grenada (12; 1 needs to add to bee taxon) 
- Greenland (3) [1, iNat]
- Martinique (12) 
- St Kitts and Nevis (6) [1, iNat]
- St Lucia (5) 
- US Virgin Islands: St. John (6; 1 to add; 1 not in bees taxon) [1, iNat]
- Indiana (266; 1)
- Maine (281, need to review if all were added) 
- New Hampshire (279; 1)
- New York (437, incomplete, needs review)
- Pennsylvania (436; source in checklist)
- Started western states (incomplete lists): AZ-CA-CO-ID-MT-NM-NV-OR-UT-WA-WY; 1
- Started central states (incomplete lists): AR-IA-IL-IN-KS-KY-MI-MN-MO-ND-NE-OH-OK-SD-TN-TX-WI; 1
- Cook Islands (4) 
- French Polynesia (12) - to correct 
- Guam (10) [1, iNat]
- Hawaii [1,2] (mostly complete, needs review)
- Howland Island (2) 
- Kiribati (7;1 to add to iNat) [1,2]
- Marshall Islands (2) 
- Montserrat (11) 
- Nauru (1) 
- New Caledonia (32; many of which need curation requests to be added) [1,2]
- New Guinea (14; some need to move to bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Northern Mariana Islands (12; 1 not in bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Mariana Islands: Rota (7; some need to move to bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Palau (11; some not in bee taxon) 
- Samoa (16; 9 not in bee taxon) 
- Tonga (5; some spp. not in bee taxon) [1, iNat]
- Tuvalu (2) 
- Vanuatu (16; 9 not in bee taxon; need to add 1) 
Current technical issues and questions
- Identify spp. duplicates occur after creating separate (multiple) newly-titled Place lists (not recommended), and some spp. can’t be added due to error: “not in bees taxon”
- After adding spp. to existing Place-lists, some don’t show up in the Bees taxon (or Hymenoptera for wasps).
- Question whether/what status to use to add extirpated, extinct, or doubtful spp. Suggestion: add extirpated or extinct as inactive, and don’t add doubtful?
- Source checklists and any experts consulted
- iNaturalist members (including researchers) who created checklists
- Observers and identifiers of new species records
- Discover Life, which was consulted for most bee checklists (in combination with iNat records)