Best shoes for through the woods and being safe(r) from snakes?

FWIW, here’s Asclepius Snakebite Foundation’s advice for surviving snakebites in the wilderness. The advice is mostly for viper bites (which are what live in @nonbinary-naturalist’s area) but there’s also a section for elapid bites near the bottom. (Warning: shows a few snakebite wounds)

Full disclosure: I used to work with ASF’s founder, Jordan Benjamin. He grew up attending programs by the herp rescue/environmental education company I taught for (before I was there) and I’m pretty sure that’s where he got his love of reptiles. Environmental education makes a difference!

5 Likes

Depends on the snake - Here in South Australia there are just a few that “can kill 10 men!!!” But for every one you see, there are 10 that ran away before you saw them. They have tiny little fangs, so a pair of jeans, (+ gaiters if youre paranoid), is enough. I’m being a bit flippant, but really, snakes are way less dangerous than bees, horses, lightning, cars, falling down cliffs, dying of thirst, etc etc, all of which I deal with regularly.

But overseas, I’ve heard of fangs 2 inches long, that’s a different matter, so I can’t advise.

You might find some sites for your country like:-
http://www.toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?fuseaction=main.snakes.display&id=SN0499
-but not the hysterical youtubes or clickbait advice.

fireants
Yes, good, watching for fireants, looking down, is protective against snakes

There are many factors that go to ‘dangeousness’.

Here, ‘brown snakes are aggressive’ which kinda means they stand up and give you a fright and then you both run away, not having actual conflict. I reckon that’s plus.
OTOH mulga snakes are so docile that you tread on them, and understandably they react with (for us) serious consequances.

Some snakes inject lots of weak venom. Some inject just a little strong venom. Some have strong venom, but won’t bite. Some are very deadly, but only live where people don’t. Some like to live in the tool shed, in the second drawer down. etc etc

re: terrible fear, phobia etc. Yes snakes can do some damage, but so do cars, medicines, electrical appliances… I think deal with the actual risks sensibly, maybe get counselling for the phobia, maybe keep a snakebite kit and a phone…

And with respect, can I comment on tiwane’s advice. Australian snakes work differently from other country’s snakes, and the treatment is different. I suggest learn treatments for the snakes that will bite you, and relevant to treatment opportunities in your area, not for some overseas snake on the internet.

1 Like

Preventing bites by avoiding direct contact with venomous snakes and sensible wearable protection is always the best defense. In the event of a bite, the best “snakebite kit” is a cell phone (to dial an emergency number) and a set of car keys (to get to professional medical care as quickly as you can if needed).

Though maybe don’t go quite this guy’s route: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-man-bitten-by-deadly-snake-grabs-a-beer-20140311-34iik.html

2 Likes

good shoes are good, thick cargo trousers are a must, (cargo pants for my fellow Americans).

1 Like

Apart from just wearing high-coverage hiking boots, consider getting yourself some sturdy anklets to wear - these will atleast keep the burs and other hazards off your socks if they don’t save you from a snakebite :)

1 Like

I am not sure that’s true since several of my friends have been bitten and one required several antivenom treatments and several weeks in the hospital. I was almost bitten by a rattlesnake recently.

I either wear leather work boots (Carhartt) or snake chaps that go from my knees to over the ankles and can be worn with any shoe or boot. The leather boots are also waterproof so they serve double duty.

I also don’t walk or put my hands anywhere that I can’t clearly see. My dogs have been bitten more times than I can count and one died from a rattlesnake bite so it’s no joke. You need to be careful.

Bites may not be fatal but they can sure mess you up.

If my husband is doing heavy duty work in the swamp, like planting more trees or whatever for our restoration work, he wears chainsaw chaps that cover his entire leg. But that’s way more than you would probably need…

1 Like

don’t forget the alligators, sinkholes, and other fun stuff :D

As far as snakes go…be aware of them, watch for them. But gaiters are good if you want some protection. Any boots that go up to mid calf are heavier than I’d want to wear, but should provide some protection.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.