Change Identify Modal mini-map display for large accuracies

On the mini-map in the Identify Modal, there is normally a blue circle to indicate the observer’s location accuracy. However, when the accuracy is very large, the circle doesn’t fit on the default map zoom level. When this happens, it appears as though the accuracy might be very small or undefined. (Yes, the accuracy value is given to the right of the map, but I still think the map display could be improved.)

I would suggest either have the zoom level dynamically change to include the accuracy circle (as is already done on the page for each observation), or color the whole map blue, indicating the entire map is within the accuracy circle.

default zoom on Identify modal:

default zoom on observation page:

mock-up of full blue mini-map:

i think changing the zoom to encompass the accuracy circle is a better approach.

4 Likes

Perhaps also a filter to just ignore these?

2 Likes

do you mean a filter so obs with a low accuracy don’t appear with the obs to be identified? Perhaps if the accuracy radius is too large they should be automatically marked casual? I notice in this discussion that if the radius is too large an obs won’t appear on the species map: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observation-not-showing-up-on-map/8383

2 Likes

I think there should be a worning appearing when uploading if the radius fits the whole/almost whole world (I guess you can remember the continent at least).

2 Likes

there was a big debate about that on the Google Groups. For a while that was the case - observations with very high uncertainty were marked casual. Then some people didn’t want it that way and it was put back. Originally some filters were going to be added to help, but I’m not sure it ever happened. Then as maybe a sort of compromise they were excluded from the range maps when they were really really imprecise.

I was one of those who thought they should be marked casual, and it’s one of my iNat pet peeves. I guess in some cases the huge circles are useful for wide ranging animals, etc… but for plants it is a whole other story.

2 Likes

Having a filter is completely independent of how to handle the display of the map. Maybe that conversation should be in a separate thread.

2 Likes

These filters do exist:

acc= [true or false]
acc_above= [metre value]
acc_below= [metre value]

I’ve gotten confused by this before, I think it would be an improvement.

1 Like

Added an issue here: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/2500

1 Like

Might it be useful to display in some way observations without an accuracy value? One only discovers that they dont have an value when one really zooms in to fine scale. A little “x” or something

An option that might not go down too well is to rather than colour in the entire map when one enters the accuracy resolution scale, is to remove the record from the map display: after all strictly we no longer know if they actually occur in the mapped area.

1 Like

Since that isn’t related to observations with a large accuracy radius, you’ll need to open a new feature request or general discussion.

1 Like