Close-ups with animals that could potentially carry SARS-Cov-2

Mouse bites are also possible.

Okay… so, saliva to blood is a SARS infectious pathway? Not just respiratory?

Arghh… then I wonder if mosquitos and fleas will become a source of SARS.

Animal bites are an established infection route (e.g. rodents, bats), so that would seem to imply saliva to blood. I don’t think mosquitoes or fleas are thought to carry it as far as has been demonstrated, which is one good thing, although the question has been raised before.

1 Like

Here is a study reported by the Natl. Inst. Of Health describing genetic and molecular findings for the evolution of omicron from either animal hosts (mice) or immune compromised humans with long Covid .

It’s way over my head, but others may be able to suss it out more thoroughly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8702434/

What if new viruses like SARS-CoV-2 are the earth’s antibodies as it tries to shake this fever (global warming)?

1 Like

Nice image, though I don’t begin to believe it.

I was wondering if covid origins theories would eventually be brought up in this discussion. An interesting topic overall.

People chose to expose themselves to new viruses against which ‘I will rely on my natural immunity’ doesn’t work.

https://humoncomics.com/mother-gaia

3 Likes

Covid seems to be behaving quite similar to Spanish flu with all the caveats for changes to mobility and medical technology.
There’s a whole ecology around viruses and bacteria and animal hosts. Like there’s some evidence the common cold beats out covid (at least delta) if they are both infecting someone. Stuff like that. We know so little still.

2 Likes

Currently it still seems unclear whether SARS-CoV-2 had zoonotic origins, although your concept reminds me of a similar one George Carlin once had about the earth shaking off fleas.

1 Like

Although the origin of Sars-CoV-2 is not known for sure, it’s looking like a zoonotic origin is more likely than a lab leak. See https://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-case-for-natural-origin-of-sars-cov.html

2 Likes

That’s interesting, although it’s complicated and I have read scientific counterpoints to those arguments as well. Many questions remain, and the window of opportunity has mostly passed to test 2019 human hospital blood samples from the outbreak location for antibodies. So now we might not be able to know when it started either. There are also human-related origins scenarios in addition to a lab, so there are many scenarios including ones which seem intermediate between anthropogenic and zoonotic. Assessing the true probabilities is very difficult. I hope more evidence will become available soon to fill in knowledge gaps and clarify the probabilities. To clarify, my view is that the origin is currently unknown, and possibly the matter will never be able to be clarified unfortunately.

As part of my interest in understanding possible SARS-CoV-2 reservoirs or hosts, like bats, pangolins, civet cats, and raccoon dogs, I identified or reviewed many observations for those taxa. Also as part of my interest in these animals in their own right. iNat data can help contribute to understanding the range boundaries and frequency and nature of human interactions these animals have with societies.

Also in recent news:

New York Times: Russia claims to be the first country to develop coronavirus shots for animals

Reuters: Hong Kong to cull 2,000 hamsters after COVID-19 outbreak

Animal vaccines could have future potential to change things for wildlife risks generally. I wonder if there are any potential risks of that strategy itself which should be further evaluated first, though. Proposed plans (which never were approved) to vaccinate bats in caves were also made prior to 2020, since general risks of bats were already understood.

1 Like