This is either a bug in the language chosen for an important question in the UI, or it is a bug in how iNaturalist handles the answer to the question.
Two people had marked an observation as Trachelas. I was not convinced that it was Trachelas, thinking it’s possible it could instead be Meriola. However, I wasn’t sure if someone was seeing a diagnostic character that I wasn’t seeing.
So I entered the family Trachelidae as my ID. I was then asked, “Is the evidence provided enough to confirm this is Genus Trachelas”? My options were:
- (A) “I don’t know but I am sure this is family Trachelidae.”
- (B) “No, but it is a member of family Trachelidae.”
I selected (A), not sure whether someone was noticing a character that I was not. When I submitted, iNaturalist reported that 3 of 3 people confirm that this is genus Trachelas.
But that’s false. I was not confirming the genus. I then figured that I had to select (B) to not count as confirming the genus, so I went to edit my ID, but there was no option for changing my selection from (A) to (B). I had to withdraw my ID and then re-enter (what appears to other users) as the same ID, in order to select (B) and not have iNaturalist count my ID as confirmation of the genus.
I had to select (B), stating that it is not possible to do better than family, despite my not being sure that one can’t do better than family. I had to answer a different question from the one iNaturalist asked in order for iNaturalist to properly process what I said.
So either options (A) and (B) are incorrectly worded, or iNaturalist is assigning the wrong behavior to the selection of option (A). If I do not confirm an ID, iNaturalist should not count it as an additional confirmation.