Community Taxon / Wrong computation

Shouldn’t this observation be “Leucaena esculenta” (2/3 of IDs)?

The Mimosoideae ID explicitely disagreed with Leucaena leucocephala, but didn’t disagree with Leucaena esculenta.

An explicit disagreement with Leucaena leucocephala, backing all the way up to subfamily, means it’s also a disagreement with Leucaena (genus) and Mimoseae (tribe).

https://www.inaturalist.org/blog/25514-clarifying-ancestor-disagreements

Since there isn’t >2/3 agreement at species, it’s still listed at the common ancestor, subfamily.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!
And happy new year!

It seems that your explanation refers to Branch Disagreement (or, at least, it is consistent with it).

It seems that my expectation refers to Leading Disagreement (or the like, I mean not disagreeing with the upper level taxons along the branch).

But the blog indicates: We’ve also since realized from the Forum that Leading Disagreement is a more common and less controversial way to disagree than Branch Disagreement.

Does the blog mean that the expected behavior is Leading Disagreement?
If so, the Community Taxon should be “Leucaena esculenta” in the example above.

I agree with the blog that Leading Disagreement is better than Branch Disagreement.

2 Likes

Digression:

If we don’t want to chose between Leading Disagreement and Branch Disagreement, then the identifier would be asked up to which level he disagrees.

There are 3 zones along a branch: I disagree, I agree (but I don’t know), I am sure.
For instance: I disagree up to the “Leucaena” genus level, I agree starting from the “Mimoseae” tribe level, but I don’t know which tribe it is, but I am sure it is “Mimosoideae” subfamily.

This could be summarized as:
“subfamily Mimosoideae // jpb disagrees it is genus Leucaena”.

2 Likes

There’s a long discussion on this topic here:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/change-wording-used-by-the-system-when-downgrading-an-observation-to-an-higher-level-taxa/3862

To my understanding despite it saying “Planned changes to distinguishing the two ways to disagree” in the June 2019 blog post, nothing has actually changed, so there is no bug here.

2 Likes

Do you mean there is no bug because this is the expected behavior of Branch Disagreement?

2 Likes

right!

1 Like

OK then, no bug.

1 Like