So this has almost certainly already been discussed, I remember some discussion, but I can’t find it so here goes :-)
I, like many people, do some of my iNatting in regular places - I have a land legacy preserve I have photomonitored some years. I visit several times a year, and there are some plants I photograph regularly, so have sequences of the same plant or the same type of plant over time. There is no way I could ID many of them when they are little sprouts just emerging, but by flower time, I know who they are. I’d love to link the sequence of photos together to show the progression. I don’t want to put them on the same observation, since they obviously aren’t the same observation.
So a few requirements:
- be able to link observations together with a saved link (prob obvious but worth saying)
- be able to note what life stage they are in in each pic (prob use the annotations?)
- be able to link more than 2 obs together (so not just one field containing 1 other ID)
- be able to link multiple obs together with an order indicator (I may have seen a specimen in flower before I saw the sprout, but would want to order them by development stage - this would be especially amazing in insects with many stages!)
- be able to annotate to show that the obs are all of the same individual organism (which allows for examples of the same species but not the same individual to be linked)
- be able to display all the linked obs on the screen at once in order (or not) (grid, or list, or batch edit list…)
- be able to create the linkages at any time, not just when the obs are being created (again prob obvious…)
- be able to link an obs to more than one linked group
- be able to have the linked group reviewed and tagged by the experts who could verify that the group reflects one species and the order is correct, where appropriate (i.e., RG)
- be able to comment on or discuss the linked group as a whole
- not to require that all linked obs be of the same species - e.g., be able to link the predator and prey in an interaction (if they are both in the same pic now, & the pic is posted to 2 obs to get both organisms into iNat, the connection is lost (as far as I know), altho those would technically be one obs, but one still can’t get both IDs on the same obs)
- be able to label the kind of link (growth stages of an organism, predator/prey, parents/chicks)
- perhaps have some upper limit to the number of obs in a group? At some point I suppose it might start looking like a list or a project, but really not the same intent
- be able to do many more things that other inventive people on iNat can think up :-)
Of course, all of it should be machine-readable, searchable, etc., otherwise there isn’t much point.
Just some stray thoughts on a Friday afternoon while desperately trying to avoid work lol.