Create a keyboard shortcut to combine pictures in the upload page of the website

When uploading pictures on the upload page of Inat website you can select several pictures and click on “combine” to group them together. I think people who deal with a lot of pictures will appreciate a keyboard shortcut for the “combine” command. I know my wrist will.

Perhaps a keyboard shortcut would help, but I wouldn’t trust an automatic stacking to get a set of images for one observation in the proper order that I desire. The images will appear on the upload page in a time sequence, I believe. So if I am combining 3 to 5 images of a plant showing flowers, inflorescences, leaves, stem, etc., I might have taken them in some more-or-less random sequence in the field and there’s no telling how those would be stacked using a keyboard shortcut. I have control over that sequence when I combine them manually.

If they were auto-stacked with a keyboard shortcut, I could theoretically go in after-the-fact and re-order the images as desired–but that just adds an additional and undesirable editing burden.

Hi, may I ask how you do that?

Drag and drop photos one by one, first one in a row stays first for observation.

To clarify, I’m asking for a strict equivalent to clicking the button “combine” with the mouse. This is only for the sake of having less mouse movements.

1 Like

Nobody else is interested? How do you deal with uploads of a hundred pictures then?

I agree it is rather tedious work to combine photos when dealing with many, many uploads. I break up the uploading task by typically only uploading batches of 10 to 20 observations at a time. Some, but not all, of those observations will have multiple images to combine–typically the plant observations. And as Marina suggested above, it’s just a process of dragging and combining the images in the order I desire. As I mentioned earlier, it is important for me personally to have control over the particular sequence of images for a given set (e.g. multiple views of a plant and its various parts), so I wouldn’t normally use the feature you’ve suggested. I recognize that it will have value for some users.

I’m going to close this request. It has 0 votes in over two years. I can imagine adding a set of keyboard shortcuts to the uploader, though, in the future.