Creative ways to use iNaturalist

A while back I posted a discussion topic about identifying all the species/locations that you ate at breakfast. I think that might make an interesting class project that would work at many grade levels.

To make it fairer and less socially stigmatizing for certain students, perhaps dissect the school cafeteria menu in the same way.

It’s getting kids to be enthusiastic about making connections, right? How about a species analysis of a popular book or show?

Example: Marc Brown’s ‘Arthur’ series. Ask kids to jot down the animals shown (characters and otherwise) that they see when viewing (at home, I presume?), compile a class list and set about locating this list’s natural roots on a large world map using iNat as a reference location.

Of course, you’d want them to include interesting facts, and some basic identity keys that they discover.

2 Likes

Another possibility is to build a trophic chain/net when a particular observation is linked to a “feeding on” or similar field. The problem is that only a few observations have got this field linked to another species.
The biggest trophic net I have seen is build here.

1 Like