Do you feel that by exploring nature we are also killing it?

This cannot be stressed enough.
I know this is a bit of a tangent to the OP’s question, but I believe it has relevance to the ‘larger picture’. Much environmental damage is the result of consumer demand for less expensive stuff to buy. As an example, shade grown coffee is environmentally better than plantation coffee, but it costs the consumer more. Given the choice, people tend to buy the cheaper product, so there is more environmental degradation. People have been trying to get me to upgrade my mobile phone (I have an old Blackberry), but I don’t need, or want, a new phone. Yet many folks want the latest model of phone when the one they have works. Consumer preference for ‘New’ - more needless manufacturing, mining, transportation etc.
This is mainly a rich world problem - as nations get richer the overall consumption goes up. I could go on for days about this, but I’ll stop now.

3 Likes

Still using my first ever cellphone. It works.

1 Like

That is often the case, but in my grocery bags example, it is just the opposite: the grocery chains switched to more durable bags that can be used multiple times, but instead of paying the surcharge just once and then bringing the same bags back over and over, nearly every customer chose the more expensive option of paying the surcharge over and over so as to use the bags just once.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.