"Duress" and "Contest" users

As an ethnobotany instructor who has students use iNaturalist I think a student account, potentially with some linkage to the instructor who then has some responsibility for vetting the observations, makes sense. That alone is probably difficult to code. The student account also ought to have a path to accommodate those such as @tmandalios who go on to use iNaturalist beyond their experience in the classroom. This is my hope as an instructor: that students will use the app beyond the class. My students come from dozens of remote islands in the Pacific, they have the potential to record species in places those from outside the islands rarely visit. Thus the student account should reach some level of trust that delinks them from their instructor and establishes them as a contributor in their own right. And, yes, my over-excited students took too many pictures of the same plants during their first outing with the app. And images of each other when they discovered that the app would identify Homo sapiens.

10 Likes