Deleting photo from observation crashes app

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS 15.6.1

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 3.2.6 build 670

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: from Me page, tap existing observation

Step 2: from Observation Detail page, tap Edit.

Step 3: from Edit Details page, delete two of three images.

Step 4: Tap Done. App crashes/closes.

Step 5: Open app. Edited Observation shows “waiting to upload”status. Press Upload, and deleted images remain.

I can replicate, I made a bug report: https://github.com/inaturalist/INaturalistIOS/issues/637

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 3.2.6 versioon 670 iaos 15.6 SDI imageccache 47,617 for 10 files un-uploaded photo 27,356,486 for 3…

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Once I’ve made an observation,is not possible to add a new photo, as when I save it, it closes.

Step 2: i tried to delete make space in my phone, and also I delete the App, but it happened again after downloading the App and making more observations.

1 Like

@diegoalmendras I moved your report to this existing one as I believe it’s the same bug.

1 Like

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS

Step 1: Enter into an observation of yours

Step 2: Enter into photos and remove a photo bc its not applicable, or whatever the case is

Step 3: Click on save/submit

App crashes, and I am unable to save the observation.

I had an observation with 3 photos, one of which was a separate species, and I had to use the Web version to update.

Moved your post to the existing bug report for this crash.

1 Like

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS 16.3.1

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 3.2.6 build 670

Step 1: from Me page, tap existing observation with two or more photos.

Step 2: from Observation Detail page, tap Edit.

Step 3: from Edit Details page, delete any photo.

Step 4: Tap Done. App crashes/closes.

Step 5: Open app. Edited Observation shows the “waiting to upload” status. Press Upload, and deleted images stay there.

If the order of the images was changed simultaneously with deleting an image, then the new order is not saved either. Changing the order only, without deleting any image, does not lead to a crash and the new order is then saved successfully.

Have been having this problem for the last couple of months.

I assumed the phone (iOS) was the problem causing this because I was due for an upgrade, but the problem persists on the new one, too. And apparently is happening to others too. But yeah. It’s been happening for months and continues to happen. Going on the site to fix it works as a workaround in the meantime.

Latest beta version has a fix for this. Looking good to me after initial testing.

1 Like

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS and iPadOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):
3.2.11 and 3.2.9(687)
Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:
everyone
Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Step 1:
Edit any observation record
Step 2:
Delete one or more photos
Step 3:
click “save”

说明一下:我的手机是iPhone13pro ,并且之前在ios16正式版系统时也会发生这些问题。
Explanation: My phone is an iPhone 13 Pro, and the above issue also occurred during the official version of the iOS 16 system.

Sometimes clicking directly on the upload button in the bottom middle will also crash and sometimes clicking directly to edit the observation record will also flash back… There are really too many bugs, when can fix them?
有时候直接点击最下面中间的上传按钮也会闪退 另外有时候直接点击编辑观察记录也会闪退…bug真的是太多了 什么时候能修复一下啊?

Unfortunately, this is a very old and persistent bug indeed, also discussed here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/deleting-photo-from-observation-crashes-app/36097

2 Likes

see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inaturalist-mobile-app-development-news/27157

1 Like

Moved bug report here as it seems to be the same as previously reported. Note that as of 5 days ago

1 Like

It’s not clear to me that your device is running iOS 16 or the iOS 17 beta. We can’t ensure that the iNat app will work with beta versions of operating systems - using a beta version of an operating system does mean that apps might not work with it.

As others have mentioned, the photo deletion crash is old, and there will be a fix in the next release. If you want to try the beta version of the iNaturalist app, you can sign up here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/Hk9r2NJj

We began rolling out an update via the App Store (version 3.2.12) that fixes this crash (it’s working well on my device). It will take a few days for the update to be available to everyone. Please let us know if it works after the update.

OK, this update has been pushed 100% in the App Store so it should be available to everyone.