Established Users: How did you Find iNaturalist?

I love reading these! Searching my gmail account, I see that I sent a link to the Global Amphibian Bioblitz in May 2011 to a friend. However, I don’t think I looked closely enough to “get it”. In April 2012, a different friend forwarded me info about a talk @loarie gave in DC at WWF (edited to add: but I did not attend). In June 2012, I created my iNat account to use the Flickr taxonomic tagging tool to get photos from Flickr to EOL (bypassing iNat completely at the time), using this lovely guidance from @treegrow. (As an aside, I see a report that it’s currently broken). That summer I poked around iNat more and realized how awesome it was, but immediately realized what a huge time sink it would be for me, so I basically didn’t let myself add anything until a few months later when I added a few observations. I felt overwhelmed by my backlog of field work photos that I wanted to add, and that kept me kind of paralyzed for a while and putting it off for “some day when I had more time”. I didn’t really get deep in until 2014, and then it changed the way I see the world.

8 Likes