Finding new butterfly species documented at a specific location

How to find out new butterfly species documented at a specific location on a specific date? e.g. Location1 & Date1 has total 1000 observations on Date1 with total 25 species. We conducted a walk on Date2 at same location and added 100 more observations. The species count has gone up to total 27 species with total 1100 observations, and now we need to find out what two new species we found today . (There are multiple observers. Tried it manually, it takes a huge time and not accurate)
Let’s take this as a new feature request if its not already there.

You can look at the calendar on the observer’s profile. Click on the date in question and this will usually show you what new taxa you’ve observed on that date.

1 Like

If you do a search for the Location 1 and Date 1, you get a list of observation and you can get a list of the species as well. The do the same search in a different browser Tab with Date 2. It should not take that long to find which of the species in Date 2 list don’t appear in Date 1 list.

The problem with that approach is that it takes into account all the observations for that location and those times, not just those of your group.

You should be able to get the additional species by using the compare tool - as long as there aren’t more than 500 species in the query, which isn’t the case for your search.

To use this tool, first perform a search with the filter settings (date, location, taxon) for day 1 in the Explore window. Copy the URL string after the ‘?’ in the first query box of the compare tool.
Then change the parameters accordingly for your second query

Example:

You can then check for ‘unique’ species in either query

Let me know whether this worked for you

5 Likes

@carnifex Wow, this is a dream feature, thanks for letting us know.
However, I think there is a bug. My first & second query gives me 58 & 60 butterflies respectively. So, my new species count is two.
However, the compare tool is giving me only one uncommon. (trying to figure out why, but do not understand. )

I manually figured out that “Common Banded Awl” & “Glassy Tiger” are the new species butterflies found in the second query.

Both queries are listed here:

Query1 : 58 Species
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d1=2003-10-01&d2=2023-09-22&nelat=18.67493696469917&nelng=73.77264297131553&place_id=any&subview=table&swlat=18.655878091931&swlng=73.75569287136929&taxon_id=47224&view=species

Query2 : 60 Species
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d1=2010-10-01&d2=2023-09-23&nelat=18.67493696469917&nelng=73.77264297131553&place_id=any&subview=table&swlat=18.655878091931&swlng=73.75569287136929&taxon_id=47224&view=species

Thanks for your help,
Narendra Bhagwat

You might’ve noticed that the first query will give you 59 instead of 58 species. This is because the default filter settings are different in the compare tool vs. the explore query:
In explore mode, by default no observations are displayed that are marked as ‘not wild’ or are lacking media.
If you will add ‘&verifiable=true’ to your query string in the compare tool, Parantica aglea will pop up as the secund unique species - but note that this one has been observed in the first round as well, just without a photo.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, it’s clear now.
Is this feature available via UI, if yes where?

I’m getting odd results with the tool. I’ve used URL for a query with observation date set as 2022, but it seem to be adding a species that was added in 2022, but observed in 2012.

Also, the links to the observations in the right column show observation that do not fit to the filter. That could be because the URL is more than a bit odd.

Do you mean the ‘verifiable’ parameter?
In explore, de-selecting the default ‘verifiable’ tickbox will give you an URL-string with ‘verifiable=any’, so for any further adjustments, just replace that with ‘true’ or ‘false’

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.