Format with clickable links and display pictures in comments on app

I like to convert long URLs into shorter tags, e.g. when referring to observations. And I just realized that in the (android) app, those links are not displayed blue and instead shown as plain text. This is especially annoying when taking effort to explain s.th. to others and they cannot follow on what you are talking about, and you might not even realize it.

E.g. here, where - when scrolling down in the discussion, ‘banana’ leads to a collection of observations; the same could be achieved via a URL, but it’s not visually pleasing to put such a long string in a text: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&q=banana&subview=grid&taxon_id=67742&user_id=carnifex&verifiable=any

Is it possible to implement HTML coding in the app, and if not, could the tag at least be transformed in a clickable URL?

No replies so far, but I want to extend my request to comments containing pictures. They are also not displayed in the App. Would be possible to at least place an automatically generated text, saying s.th. like '“this link/photo cannot be displayed, please visit the observation at ‘inaturalist.org’ to see it”?

2 Likes

Sorry for futzing around with your topic title; I can’t recall if links in descriptions are visible on the app, but I think it should apply to HTML in the observation description as well as the comments / ID comments.

1 Like

I think this is something the team agrees on (at lest for links and formatting, and probably images as well). I’ll try and get an issue in the pipeline for it.

2 Likes

Made some issues for this in our iOS and Android repositories.

3 Likes

Seems to be working for me in the Android app. Thanks!

1 Like

I suspect it’s not working yet in the iOS app, so maybe it shouldn’t be marked solved? Can anyone confirm?

Yes, it’s working for iOS. Will close this.

1 Like