Geoprivacy, Obscuring, and Auto Obscure Discussion

As a relatively new user, I am struggling to wade through all of the information on the forum about what the current process is for handling species that are regionally significant/vulnerable.

I can see the general guidelines about geoprivacy (https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#geoprivacy), and also the curator guidelines about how/when to edit the geoprivacy on a taxon (https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/curator+guide#geoprivacy).

However, it is clear that this discussion is far from over, and I would love to see a summary somewhere of the current status so that I don’t need to read through pages and pages of a forum thread and find information that probably isn’t current anymore anyway. Perhaps in a wiki?

For example, how are we going with feature requests that were mentioned over a year ago in this thread? Have they been implemented already? Have they been rejected? One that comes to mind is a better system for documenting who/when/why the taxon geoprivacy settings are being changed, and making this visible. Has that been rejected in favour of the flag system?

And what is the latest thinking on regional vulnerability? Is there going to be a way of adding that? Also, it has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that we don’t want to reopen the discussion about whether things should be obscured or not, but I haven’t read those, and although I don’t want to spend hours sifting through the threads, I would love to see a summary of pros/cons. Is there such a thing that someone could point me to?

I would be quite happy to get either/both of those things started (a wiki on the current processes for handling geoprivacy on iNaturalist, and a wiki on the pros/cons of geoprivacy in general), but I’m not even sure if maybe it already exists somewhere (please provide links if you know of such things), or if there is a better way of handling it, and I would definitely need a lot of support with editing the content, as I am not a power user yet.

Thank you everyone for your willing and thorough input into this forum! I am so thrilled to have found it and to be a part of it!

3 Likes