Habitat images - is there a rule somewhere

These photos get to GBIF, while being named a speies, that is not presented on a photo.

2 Likes

There is a somewhat easy way to avoid hosting images on other sites (which I think has been suggested previously on the forum when this topic came up before). The idea is to add the habitat photo to the observation, copy the image link, but then orphan the photo by editing the observation and unchecking the associated thumbnail. That way, the photo will remain hosted on iNat, but ignored by the CV. (I have never actually used this solution myself, though, so I don’t know how reliable it is in practice).

4 Likes

This is an existing feature request (can’t find it, but the answer was in the ‘maybe one day’ direction). When I ask for pictures of ‘fruit’ - that - is what I want to see. Not to have to plough thru hundreds of pictures for the handful that show, ta da, fruit.

1 Like

Link is broken for me:

You must where vk servers are banned or something like that.

1 Like

I saw your map

2 Likes

The CV algorithm will use a picture of a spectrogram and treat it as a picture of the organism as it does all other pictures (including “habitat” photos, etc.), which is why staff have requested that users not upload pictures that do not contain the organism itself.

4 Likes

Agree.

Thanks for explaining.
Still, unsatisfactory, really. Bat sounds cannot be heard by us lowly creatures. We need a graphic representation of them to be able to identify them.
In my book that means iNat needs a way to tell their CV algorithm what to ignore.

1 Like

Ha, voilà another issue one runs into when linking to external servers.

There’s no issue, everybody else sees it. No voila here, my photos are needed for people who live here and they can see them. You can use the orphaned photos idea.

Also, an even easier way exist, upload habitat photo as observation for a plant, and add link to it for animals you have found there.

1 Like

I’ve not been asking because I want to do this myself, I’ve been asking because I recently had a case where there were aphid only photos on a lady beetle observation I IDed. I went with ‘Insects’, the observer explained that he was showing the prey and subsequently other, experienced IDers accepted this and IDed the lady beetle.

I hoped for a very clear rule somewhere. This thread now shows there is a rule, but it is not very clearly stated and is interpreted differently by different people. TBH I am not interested in opening that can of worms on an observation as well. I think I’ll stick with my insect ID but will not try to talk the other into doing the same (or make a second attempt to talk the the observer into splitting).

2 Likes

You did it right, if all photos don’t show the ladybug, you can’t id the observation as one, I think it’s pretty well established, if habitat shots may have sense, prey items have no place in that observations and should be uploaded separately.

4 Likes

For merely human eyes, those aphid pictures will be (confusingly) on the taxon photos.If you ID as aphids, the CID will be forced to insects, unless you are outnumbered by beetle IDs?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.