Help with New Project - add areas?

when i click (not drag) on the edit screen, i always get an accuracy circle. (if you can get a point without a circle by clicking around, you might want to try capturing a video of how you’re doing that so that we can see exactly what you’re doing.) how big the accuracy value / circle is by default is based on how far in you zoom on the map. (this is true in both the web and the mobile app.) in the web page, you can edit the size of the circle by clicking on it and dragging on its guide points. alternatively, you can edit the “acc (m)” value to a larger or smaller number.

1 Like

It turns out the zoom level is affecting the behavior in a weird way. If the entire accuracy circle is visible in the map, it behaves differently than if you zoom in beyond where you can see the whole circle.

Whole circle visible in red outline:

Only partial circle visible:

• if the whole circle is visible and
    • you click on the red pin OR
    • you click anywhere inside the circle

then the circle fills in with a solid red color

• if you’ve zoomed in far enough that only a partial circle is visible or even further and the edges of the circle are completely off the map
    • clicking on the pin fills in the red color
    • clicking anywhere else inside the circle does NOT fill in the red color, instead it moves the pin and creates a smaller accuracy circle

So I think that explains the difference between the first and second results above – in some cases you were clicking on the pin and in some cases very near the pin, but in all cases, you were zoomed in too far to have the full circle visible on the map.
As for the third case, like pisum, I can only get the accuracy to completely disappear if I click and drag.

1 Like

but in all, the zoom was the same default load page zoom? I never touched the zoom.
look at the scale bar on the bottom of the screenshots, 50m.

Not saying zoom behaviour isn’t a culprit, just simply confused what you are trying to explain as the zoom is the exact same in the two photos you used for your post and I did not touch zoom

My stuff should be set to obscure location on default as I don’t want to find something rare, not know it, and cause poaching issues :) Although for LT - I did select “trust project leaders with hidden cords”.

I don’t have GPS on my camera so stuff isn’t geotagged. Any precise location is going to have map translation error but relatively correct.

My point was that it was difficult to reproduce reliably because it only works at close zoom.
Knowing that your zoom was close means that the reason case one and case two differ is because in case one you were clicking on the pin and in case two you were clicking very near the pin. If you didn’t have a close zoom (or if someone else trying to reproduce doesn’t have a close zoom), the behavior would be different.

Sure, but even without gps it’s relatively easy to add location in a km radius or less if you upload soon after, it works with obscured observations also, as data is stored anyway.) If you have phone with you it’s useful to make photos with gps right after camera, I do it as I also don’t have gps on my cameras, there’re other ways, e.g. using apps that create a track and then use it to add geolocation to camera photos, but it’s harder than just snapshots with location.

OH yes I can get more detailed than a km radius! As I said, relatively correct. I thought you meant like down to like a 10m square. To me, that is precise location, you can walk right to it no confusion no hunting. And even that level of accuracy is hard to achieve on a phone GPS.

To me, about a 50 or 100m square is accurate plenty for a public site. Honestly in this region WGS84 inaccuracy issues can throw you up to almost 100m off anyway! SO plenty below your 1km threshold!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.