How are iNaturalist Forum and iNaturalist accounts linked?

question

just out of curiosity:

1. is there a way to delete an iNatForum account? i see the option in iNaturalist but not in iNatForum. (if there is a way to delete the account, does it cause content deletion in iNatForum similar to in iNaturalist, or does the content become anonymized or something like that?)
  2. i assume it would be okay to delete an iNatForum account but retain the associated iNaturalist account?
  3. conversely, would it be okay to delete an iNaturalist account but retain the iNatForum account? (i’m assuming there’s nothing that automatically propagates the iNaturalist deletion over to iNatForum.)
0 Likes

Dealing with Account Deletion

Wow, that would be a very nasty surprise indeed! I very much doubt that it would happen that way… really, really, REALLY hoping that it doesn’t!

1 Like

if you are talking about deleting your iNat account, it might delete the iNat forum account too, since they are linked, but presumably if you have gone so far to delete your iNat account you won’t be on the forums anyway. deleting your forum account shouldn’t affect your iNat account, but i’m not quite clear on why someone might do that. Do you want your posts deleted? If you are having issues with the forum you can also try messaging one of the admins or iNat devs.

1 Like

yes, i fixed my earlier post

i think you have the option to log in to iNatForum with your iNaturalist account, but that’s not mandatory. i’m just thinking about different possibilities.

i guess if someone goes through the trouble of deleting their account in iNaturalist and then figures out later that they would have to also separately delete their iNatForum account, then that could be problematic in a different way, especially if they can’t get into iNatForum because they logged in using their no-longer-active iNaturalist account.

deletion would be cleaner than just keeping around an account that you would no longer use. if i were to go from the forum, that’s probably the way i’d prefer to do it, depending on how content would be affected. (i can’t say that that hasn’t crossed my mind – not related to any specific interactions here, but more related to do-you-really-want-to-see-the-sausage-being-made life prioritization.)

2 Likes

split this topic #5

7 posts were split to a new topic: How to change username on iNatForum

0 Likes