How can I cut and paste the Seasonality graph?

I would like to overlay the seasonality graphs of an insect and its host plant to show synchronicity or impact of species shift. I realize this must come with many caveats. But, is there a way just to cut and paste the two graphs? When I do so, it doesn’t save as a jpeg or png, but a Windows Page. I am okay with recreating the data, but not sure how to set up the filters, and, since it’s perfect as is, would rather just cut and paste! Ideas?

1 Like

What is a windows page?

The graphs are generated via javascript and therefore are not really images in any conventional format. The easiest approach here would be to use a screenshotting tool.

Well, I think a Windows Page means you can just save it as a link to the image, not as an image itself. I tried the Screenshot, but was unable to manipulate the image. . . .

I don’t have a clue on how to accomplish this but I just want to add that this would be a very intriguing way to examine iNat data. The gurus behind the programming of the seasonality graphs might be able to suggest how to extract and display the data. I wonder if @pleary would have any insight on this question.

1 Like

on a windows computer, you can press the windows key+shift+S to open the snipping tool, select what you want to cut out and save it.

The hard way: download observations of the species you want to compare and then make the graphs yourself, in excel or probably? R (never use it). This is a .csv file. If f you can filter it to only include phenology information this would help, but I don’t think you can. iNat should really add this!

The seasonality charts use data from the /observations/histogram endpoint.

You visualize them with pisum’s tool.

2 Likes

The phenology charts use a different endpoint – /observations/popular_field_values. I don’t think @pisum has made something to visualize that endpoint.

1 Like

Thank you! This actually worked for me. (At some point I will want to recreate the graphs using the data itself). This is a great shortcut!

Then you can use the utility that Jane mentioned:

#oldschoolwindows

Alt+PrtScr (print screen)

Open Paint, ctrl+V

Size / Grab what you need and you can save as jpg, png, etc…

Archaic, but it still works.

nope, but the results returned by this endpoint could also be obtained via the other endpoint:

it wouldn’t be as efficient to get all the data using the latter endpoint if you want to get data to exactly match the iNat phenology charts, but the latter endpoint offers more options to allow you to get the data in other formats – for example, by day, by week, etc.

just for example, here’s how you might get flowering eastern redbuds by month of year:
https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/observations/histogram?term_id=12&term_value_id=13&taxon_id=48502

but if you to see things change by week, you could use: https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/observations/histogram?term_id=12&term_value_id=13&taxon_id=48502&interval=week
(which you could also quickly visualize at https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNatAPIv1_observation_histogram.html?term_id=12&term_value_id=13&taxon_id=48502&interval=week)

(just my own observation about the redbud data above: it looks like it’s really heavily influenced by the annual City Nature Challenge. not sure if there’s a good way to remove the effect of that event in this case.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.