How to build your iNaturalist community

ahahahaah they won’t like that though, a lot of birders and invert people :)

2 Likes

I built an iNat community by asking questions when someone disagreed with one of my IDs and by explaining my reasons when I disagree. Someone once pointed out to me the halteres on what I thought was a wasp but turned out to be a fly.

I also met a few local iNatters at community volunteer projects such as BioBlitzes or park cleanup and invasive removals.

For newer users, I also add a tip about the taxa they observed, for example, how I know it was a beetle, the difference between leaf shapes, or when it might be either a bee or a bee-mimic. And I sometimes go from the Identify Unknowns page to a newbie’s list of observations to give them some extra action on their personal backlog.

3 Likes

I do that too! Often the newbies are going unnoticed and that’s a great way to bring them into the fold.

3 Likes

Is there a setting to show only such observations?

Go to the person’s profile (from an observation) and then click on “observations.” It will show a list and you can see which ones are still Needs ID

1 Like

On Identify, under Filters>More Filters, there is an option to search for observations based on how recently the observer joined iNat:

I have this one, for plant/unknown observers in Illinois, saved as a bookmark: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?iconic_taxa=Plantae%2Cunknown&place_id=35&user_after=3w and sometimes I leave a welcome message. Note that you can edit the timespan in the URL.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.