How to use iNaturalist's Search URLs - wiki - part 2 of 2

True, but that’s not exactly how the iNat search queries work, at least not the ones available to us. It’s looking for exact matches, not doing comparisons or evaluations. Depending on how the database is architected those types of numerical comparisons could potentially use significantly more processing power. It would be nice to be able to do it someday.

Hello, I have been playing with the search for annotations feature to look for life stages. It works really well on the observations side of iNat. When I try to go to the species tab, however, it does not show me photos of the life stage grouped by species, it just shows the main picture for the species. I am looking for this feature because I think it would be easy to just get the grid to show the different species I am looking into at the life stage of my choosing.
Let me know if there is a way do to this :) Thanks!

On observations tab - notice the repeated Asian Lady Beetle observations:

The species tab - just shows the species by main photo regardless of the URL:

Welcome to the forum! That’s a more complicated functionality than is currently available. The display photos on the species tab are all set from the species page (and can be edited by anyone). So having a different species photo for each life stage would need to be implemented onto the species page before it could be searched for in Explore. I don’t think there’s a feature request for this yet, so feel free to make one.

2 Likes

Is it possible to search selecting a range of sizes? Suppose, for example, I include length in mm for a bunch of observations, and I want to search only those observations with length less than 2mm. Can I do that? Or perhaps more useful would be to include those with a size value and sorted by the size.

You need to create an observation field or use an eisting one and add it to all those observations.

That does not answer my question. The field is there already. I need to know how to use it in a query. For example, my current interest is to find all hymenoptera observations I’ve made where the length is 2mm or smaller.

Just click on it and choose “with this value”, then you likely can change the url depending on how you set that field.

Yeah, I just noticed that. Thanks. How about my original request which was to sort by the field? Hmm. Changing = to <= or < does not work. Is = the only operator available? That would severely restrict the queries.

point #2 from this may be relevant to what you’re asking about: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/apples-vs-crabapples/34888/14.

2 Likes

OK. I was doing that with tags for a while. For those observations I’ve tagged that way I also have the actual size added.

I am aware that I can do a search using fields to search for the fauna that may visit plants such as https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?verifiable=any&place_id=any&field:Interaction->Visited%20flower%20of=55365
or https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=630955&verifiable=any&view=species&field:Flower%2FPlant%20Name%20(what%20plant%20was%20the%20pollinator%20visiting%3F)=thistle

Knowing that there are many fields that serve a similar purpose, I am curious if there is a way to string those fields together in one search. For instance using the following fields to search for 55365-Grindelia visits?
&field:feeding on=
&field:Plant association=
&field:nectar / pollen delivering plant=
& field:name of associated plant=
& field:nectar plant=
&field:Interaction->Visited flower of=
{edit: &field: Flower/Plant Name (what plant was the pollinator visiting?)= this will not work as the dataset is based on text rather than taxon}

I would just have to experiment by trial and error to see if and how this would work, so I encourage you to do so. I suspect, though, that even if it does work, it may string them together with AND operations instead of OR operations, so may not give you the results you are looking for.

1 Like

you can specify multiple observation fields in the parameters, but:

1. they will operate using AND instead of OR. (ex. A and B instead of A or B)
  2. you need to use proper URL encoding for special characters (ex. a space needs to be encoded as %20 in the URL)
3 Likes

Thank you. The result definitely was AND which was not what I was looking for but may be handy for someone who is trying to find observations that use both fields for whatever reason. I definitely needed the %20 to fill spaces, without that I was coming up blank.

When looking for Bees Epifamily Anthophila
4 observations when using two fields field:Interaction->Visited flower of= AND field:nectar / pollen delivering plant= looking for interaction with Solidago

Individually
1,028 observations using field:Interaction->Visited flower of= looking for interaction with Solidago
608 observations using field:nectar / pollen delivering plant= looking for interaction with Solidago

It would be nice to have some kind of widget/gizmo/page(?) that would allow dropping in similar fields and then being able to change the value (taxon/text) and even better if it grabbed the grand total. But then I don’t know how often there would be a need for that. I just have a curiosity.

2 Likes

I need to be able to add a search term to filter observations in which I have been tagged/at-notified. Searched through this thread and the other one and couldn’t find anything - anyone know if that’s possible? I always have bad luck searching the forum, so perhaps I missed something obvious. Thanks!

This is currently being worked on by the developers, but it’s been that way for a while and there’s no indication of when it will be ready.

3 Likes

I searched and was unable to located an approach for creating a URL for reviews by a specific user.

This link will show you Monarchs you have reviewed in Identify. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=true&quality_grade=needs_id%2Cresearch&taxon_id=48662

Could I use an element like “reviewed_by=whitneybrook” to make it so that someone else could see what I reviewed? I tried this and it didn’t work, but I’m wondering if there is a way to make it work. What I attempted:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed_by=whitneybrook&quality_grade=needs_id%2Cresearch&taxon_id=48662.

I figured out, but only because @pisum just commented on another thread with a link to do it with the API, and I know the URL segments are usually the same for the API and the website.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=true&viewer_id=1
Is all of the things reviewed by Kueda, who is the person with account number 1. Unfortunately putting his user name in the link didn’t work, so looks like you’ll need know the account numbers of the people you wish to see.

1 Like

The only way I could figure out how to predictably find out the account number was from within observations involving the user name that is of interest.

which results in the following URL:

Although, my own account number will show up in the URL of my own profile

@whitneybrook I ended up getting this for me:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=true&quality_grade=needs_id%2Cresearch%2Ccasual&place_id=any&taxon_id=48662&viewer_id=83288

2 Likes

Thank you! I am only interested in sending my work to be reviewed by someone else and helping others to do the same. Since we can get our personal user numbers from our profile URLs, I think this should work. I can confirm that I see observations that bobmcd interacted with when I click on the link.

I appreciate the assistance!

1 Like