How to use iNaturalist's Search URLs - wiki part 1 of 2

Is there a way to access the Disagreement Count directly, so that I could query Disagreement Count>1 on my own ID’s to see where people have disagreed with my IDs?

I know there is a field available in CSV data exports called num_identification_disagreements, but I don’t know of a way to query its value in a search URL.

Does not work as expected!

Total species for Macao: 807

Total species for Hong Kong: 8.868

Total species for Macao + Hong Kong: 236.326

1 Like

It seems to be pulling species count from “The World”, instead of just the two areas.

2 Likes

Yes, all the other numbers (observations, identifiers, observers) seem to tally as expected, so seems like a bug for the species count.

Bug report

2 Likes

This is such a wonderful feature when you find codes that work when used together. I am having success with more searches now, but what have I done wrong here? This
https://inaturalist.nz/observations?verifiable=any&not_in_place=131549&field:Zone%20Ca%20Kokopu%20Pool=yes
yields 0 instead of the expected over-600 results.
cf
https://inaturalist.nz/observations?verifiable=any&not_in_place=131549&field:Zone%20Ca%20Kokopu%20Pool=KRS yields about 150, as expected.

1 Like

There appear to be no observations with “yes” in that field:

If you are after all the observations that have that field, regardless of value set, then exactly as you have it but drop the “=yes”:

https://inaturalist.nz/observations?verifiable=any&not_in_place=131549&field:Zone%20Ca%20Kokopu%20Pool

3 Likes

In the map display for multiple taxa (such as here), is it possible to filter for RG or verifiable observations? I tried with ‘quality_grade=research’ and ‘verifiable=true’, but the display dind’t change

I wasn’t previously aware of that mapping functionality, and don’t know where to look up what (if any) other parameters work with it. Kinda beyond the scope of the Explore and Identify functionality covered by this tutorial, so if you get some answers it might be worth starting a separate “iNaturalist Mapping URLs” tutorial or something like that.

2 Likes

If a new topic/tutorial is started, please do link it here… that mapping is something I’d like to know more about!

1 Like

How to display wild and captive observations together on a map:

add &captive=any to the URL

1 Like

Please add any new URL parameters to the top post, which is a wiki - anyone can edit it.

1 Like

Done.

1 Like

Thanks Mark, got it!

How to query “!”, “EN” and “NT” observations?

Snipaste_2019-09-29_10-55-15

Question: go to any observation, scroll down to bottom RHS of page to “Observations of relatives” and click on “View All” the resulting URL ends with “&ttl=-1” . What does that string do?

1 Like

generally, you can look at the API documentation (https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/docs/#!/Observations/get_observations) to get an idea of what a parameter is supposed to do. in this case, ttl is supposed to:

Set the Cache-Control HTTP header with this value as max-age , in seconds. This means subsequent identical requests will be cached on iNaturalist servers, and commonly within web browsers

1 Like

@GeraldA Under ‘your observations/Deine Beobachtungen’ you can filter for ‘Introduced/Eingeführt’ and for ‘Threatened/bedroht’. I don’t think it is possible to filter for a certain degree of threat?

Also, I recently learned that when adding ?locale=en to a URL, the site is displayed in English (works the other way round as well). Just if you want to make screenshots for the forum in English or follow instructions described here that are then easier to find in the original language. :)

1 Like

EDIT - I just realized that Tags can be searched for in the Edit Observations window! So this is not necessary, unless you want to use the Search field for another facter, eg a Place name or a word from the Description.

Searching for observations with a certain tag - I don’t see this in the wiki but may have missed it. If someone competent in doing so would like to add it to the wiki it may be helpful.
This works for bulk editing of one’s own observatons, ie “Edit Observations”:

Searching for observations tagged “pathside flora”:
&q=pathside%20flora&search_on=tags

I only got this to work when I placed it after the word “reveiwed” in the url created in a search for obs in a specified Place. ie (using a different example, the tag being “move to cb”)

https://inaturalist.nz/observations/kaipatiki_naturewatch?utf8=✓&quality_grade=any&reviewed=&q=move%20to%20cb&search_on=tags&geoprivacy=&identifications=any&captive=&place_id=131548&swlat=&swlng=&nelat=&nelng=&taxon_name=&taxon_id=&day=&month=&year=&order_by=observations.id&order=desc&rank=&hrank=&lrank=&taxon_ids[]=&d1=&d2=&created_on=&site=&tdate=&list_id=&filters_open=true&view=map

But that may have been due to some other error on my part.
(NB for newbies like me, in the Edit Observations window, it seems to be necessary to create a search for something before editing the url).