Hub for finding identification guides?

Interesting. Do you know how to tell where they’re getting their ID information from?

They seem to list references (most of the time) at the bottom of pages (example). They also claim to be “primarily served from the University of Georgia […] and University of New South Wales.”, so its all curated by experts.

Hello, I am back about NADABA.net.

@stefadrian

But we’d need a real tool for that, user friendly, intuitive and all. Like, if I want to know the latest on mediterranean ID literature, a lot of researchwork is needed just to get the literature links, and then get it sorted by usefulness.
I think a tool is needed. Enter your location, enter the taxonomic group, enter your level of expertise (from newbie to pro), and get all the relevant books and ID papers listed for the area, from picture book to monography.

This is precisely what NADABA.net was created for. Apart from filtering on the level of expertise (there’s a Beginners tag though), NADABA.net corresponds to everything you asked for, no?

Yeah, we should create something like that, worldwide, with thousands and thousands of entries and a multiple language user interface.

NADABA.net is already worldwide (you can create an item corresponding to any location in the world) and multilingual (EN/FR/NL to start with). The number of entries will only attain thousands and thousands through a collaborative effort.

I am afraid that since only very few people have used and contributed to NADABA for one year now, this first attempt to have such a tool will fail and we will never have the tool you and I dream of.

I know that NADABA can be perfected and I have a lot of ideas to improve it. But if this first version is not successful enough, I am not sure I will spend more time, energy and money to improve it.

… with thousands and thousands of entries…

That’s why this tool has to be collaborative. Like other cataloguing websites (goodreads, imdb, etc.) it will never take of and have a critical mass of entries if not enough early adopters contribute to it.

Please begin to create items for your own books that are on your shelves. Little by little we will add new geographic zones, new taxonomic groups, new authors, new publishers, etc.

Please also create virtual items for your favorite websites with a print screen of the homepage as a picture for the item.

Thanks in advance and always standing ready to discuss and receive feedback,

Jean-François Olivier
creator of NADABA.net

2 Likes

I made an account on NADABA.net, and the site seems pretty user-friendly.

The only issue I’ve found is that I set the language to English, but it displays some of the text in French (This does not bother me, since I speak both languages, but It seems like it was unintended)

Heres a screenshot:

1 Like

@ ydobon
Thank’s for your comment.
Could you please send me the URL of the screenshot? Is it on PC, tablet, smartphone?

I sent you an email.

@ydobon Thanks. I’ll try to fix it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.