Identifier's Bingo (New Card Now Available!)

What does “go auto-pilot” mean?

Only that not much brain power will be required. The other thread described it as “robot mode”

5 Likes

maybe you could put audio observations on the bingo card

4 Likes

Tried a blackout until I reached tha last square :-( … as I have been moving quite a bit between continents lately I completely gave up on physical ID-Books.

Tried all the other ones. Some where fun.
I find it also super usefull to have those links to different approaches combined here as I never remember all the tricks and quirks that are mentioned here and there. That´s pretty cool. Is there a page somewhere that has those search-approaches collected?

4 Likes

How to use iNaturalist’s Search URLs - wiki
How to use iNaturalist’s Search URLs - wiki - part 2

2 Likes

I admit I made the “consult a physical copy of a field guide” square for myself because I own tons of books I never use. Certainly if you don’t have any books, feel free to use an online resource that isn’t iNat.

4 Likes

you can find a whole list of reliable sources on the About page for each taxon! Go take a look.

1 Like

Honestly I do think that’s a good square. We need to remember that real field guides exist, and anyway it’s more fun to use one than an internet source! I recommend getting some from a library if you don’t own any, though I don’t know how that works outside the US.

3 Likes

I am not too destroyed that I didn’t blackout the list :)

I used to have tons of field guides and books about nature (and they are still somewhere in a family attic). However, since I am forced to do my research without them, I started to appreciate the possibilities on up-to-date and often more detailed research online (I use a lot of original descriptions and recent scientific work now). It often takes longer and more effort to get to avgoal, but I feel it is often more profound and sustainable knowledge I end up with.

3 Likes

This is BEYOND brilliant.
I dream of this becoming some type of virtual bioblitz feature on iNat, that one could subscribe to.

3 Likes

Thanks! I might whip up another this Friday as well

1 Like

Just for giggles, if I ever see a Ginkgo still “unknown,” I’m going to ID it just to phylum.

4 Likes

That’s the “back someone up” square :) I just didn’t explain it well

1 Like

New Friday, New Card!

*In these links you have to edit the URL to insert your own username instead of USERNAME. (Side note, in this exercise I found out that if you don’t specify a username in the mavericks URL, it returns all mavericks, which is pretty cool.)

13 Likes

Another time - can you tweak the ‘all mavericks’ to show needs ID?
If they are at (consensus) Research Grade - it makes the list LONG

1 Like

The https://www.inaturalist.org/identifications page doesn’t accept filtering by quality grade. You can choose a taxon (&taxon_id=), but that’s really the only useful way to narrow it down. If you don’t mind looking at a page with much more difficult formatting, the API will return a similar list, with much more possible filters. So for example, here’s 200 maverick plant IDs on Needs ID observations in South Africa. I promise the link to each observation is in there, just buried under the carrots. (For example, expand “results” then “0” then “observation” and then look for the line that says URL.)

1 Like

Thank you. I can’t get my head around that one … but I do scoop up URLs to bookmark.

1 Like

I fiddled with it, and the main problem for me was that I have already reviewed most of the results for my area, but I wasn’t able to remove those observations from the list. It’s not really a workable solution I guess.

1 Like

I do use this URL
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?place_id=6986&lrank=stateofmatter&ident_taxon_id=47126
which I have bookmarked as Life Disagreement
Limited to my place of greater Cape Town
No longer know who I need to thank for that one - so will thank you!

Very satisfying to move on the many where botanists and zoologists refuse to talk to each other and use the same name … Crassula … the shell or the succulent. Sigh.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.