#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Better rest up now!

1 Like

In opera - Nessun dorma - None shall sleep!!

1 Like

As CNC is coming I would like to ask you to check the city that will be participating for the first time. Insects, plants, fungi and even some birds to id, all close to main European flora&fauna. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?project_id=bioraznoobrazie-sankt-peterburga

1 Like

Only one more week to rest up! Any last minute goals before the stampede?

3 Likes

Try my damnedest to get caught up? (Ha!) Finish painting the bedroom, bedroom closet, and hallway closet? (That might actually happen.) Finish digging the hole for the lily pond? (I definitely won’t finish in a week.)

Plan all the places I want to visit in the four days of the CNC? (I want to aim for 8 to 12 different habitats/sites.) Install the new router which I hope will speed uploading my own photos and downloading photos I want to ID? Study up on the groups I never quite get straight? (But there are so many of those!)

Make sure all the relevant batteries are charged? Lay in a stock of portable snacks?

Maybe I could hit 65,000 IDs by then? That would help with getting caught up before the flood of CNC observations. That’s only … about 200 IDs a day.

So what are your goals?

5 Likes

I have 1500 Penstemon digitalis left to review - only ~200 a day as well. Finish cleaning up my garden from last year, remove sow thistles and prickly lettuce, and prepare soil for summer food crops.

3 Likes

My father put an end to my CNC participation last year by dying. This year I am hoping my mother doesn’t do the same!

2 Likes

My sympathy on your loss. Good health and long life to your mother.

2 Likes

Thanks, Diana. She is already 93 so has had the long life, and was in good health until 2 years ago. Now she just keeps defying everyone’s expectations that she will drop off the twig at any moment!

2 Likes

My mother almost reach her hundredth birthday. Didn’t want all the hype, so she slipped away in her own good time. She first taught me about Cape robins with their white eyebrow, not the English ones she grew up with.

3 Likes

Identifier junkies will be busy for the next two weeks.
Choose your poison - 28K and counting …

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/city-nature-challenge-2022

2 Likes

Why some projects allow casual observations though?

1 Like

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?per_page=100&iconic_taxa=unknown&without_taxon_id=1126112%2C67333%2C131236%2C151817&project_id=117404

That global page count is going up as I watch. BRING IT ;)

3 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect it’s so people can keep track of species like birds that are hard to photograph without fancy and expensive cameras and lenses. At least, that’s what I use the Casual category for when I’m posting CNC observations. I don’t make observations of cultivated or captive species for the CNC, however.

1 Like

Only two weeks??? Ha! You know better than I do, I bet, that it will take identifiers at least a year, probably several years, to ID to species even 90% of those observations that can be identified to species.

2 Likes

Looking at last two years, around 40% from both still need ids, it includes recently added observations, but still, enough to be busy for a year to just review them all.

1 Like

Almost 500 pages of unknowns from La Paz alone!

2 Likes

I pulled a Podranea ricasoliana from the unknowns in Cape Town and another from the unknowns in La Paz. I take care of a plant here in California. So there you go, people have the same garden plants all over the world.

3 Likes

I think in the spirit of iNat is encouraging new people to learn to see nature. Garden and street plants for city dwellers. Yesterday I could see on iNat, workers nipping out at lunchtime to photograph whatever they could find here and now. Which I find hugely encouraging, and also that the observers reflect the demographics of our City.

Cape Town won’t be counting your cat, your dog, and the many humans (including a toy plastic turtle yesterday :rofl: )

@lynnharper the two weeks is the cutoff for the Challenge. The ID conversations roll on with nature …

@arboretum_amy last I looked La Paz is leading on species count. Who knew they had SUCH biodiversity there?!

1 Like

Sure, but it should be either all project do that or none, of course most projects don’t aim to be #1, but as it’s called challenge, I think it’s expected to have everyone with the same rules. I see many posts telling people to mark cultivated plants and that they don’t count, and as I remember last year in main project rules it was mentioned too, didn’t really check them this year.

1 Like