If you could travel to see nature anywhere in the world ... where would you go?

Any extreme desert in an anomalous wet year.

6 Likes

I meant before ANY touristsā€¦ Like, back in Darwinā€™s dayā€¦

4 Likes

Wait, Darwin wasnā€™t a tourist? :wink:

9 Likes

Like many others, Iā€™d like to go back to places I was when I was a callow youth, intent on proving that youth is wasted on the young.

• Numerous parts of Brazil (I spent my teens there)
  • South Africa (especially the Garden Route & surrounds)
  • Many parts of Australia (but could do without the dust storms and wildfires!)
  • New Zealand (have traveled the South Island, but itā€™s so amazing I want to go again)
  • Caribbean (esp to compare Windward & Leeward islands)
  • Olympic Penninsula (again)
  • Antarctica
  • Canadian Rockies (esp including Burgess Shales)
  • Madagascar
  • Orkney, Scotland
  • Ireland
  • Much of Indonesia (esp with an eye to comparing differences north/south and elevations)
  • Eastern provinces of Canada (born in Montreal, but left when I was 8)
  • Bruce Penninsula (again)
  • Belize
  • Chile
  • Argentinian pampas
  • Falklands
  • South Pacific Islands

ā€¦ too many to list :-)

2 Likes

About 80% of Japan is forested but much of it is managed forest with only timber species. I think there is old-growth forest on the steeper slopes.

5 Likes

If I was a mega-rich type I wouldnā€™t get a flash superyacht and lounge around Cannes. No, instead Iā€™d love to own both a fishing trawler and an ice rated scientific survey vessel. Thereā€™s so much we still donā€™t know about the oceans! Eg where do juvenile giant squid spawn from?? Man, Iā€™d love to earn the bragging rights answering that question!

Love to get out into the remote ocean and see whatā€™s around. Just one big lucky dip. Would also like to get down into the sub-Antarctic, places like Heard Island that are tiny little beacons in the wilderness.

5 Likes

I would definitely go back down to southern Arizona. I lived there for a while but life called and told me I had to leave. But I ADORE the Sonoran desert and I could spend the rest of my life in the ā€œSky Islandsā€ and never get tired of them.

For one time trips: I would visit Antarctica to see the penguins, but it would have to be a short trip because any temperatures below 75F and I get pretty unhappy. I would also love to see the birds of paradise in Papua New Guinea. A bit closer to home, I have been trying to find time to go try and find some snowy plovers and least terns as well as explore the semi-desert of the Comanche Nat. Grassland in SE Colorado (a really cool place where the Chihuahuan Desert and the Great Plains/shortgrass prairie sort of mingle together). Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge in the Nebraska Sandhills is also on my list for a really unique ecosystem that I would love to visit AND is fairly accessible/close to home.

2 Likes

James Cameron comes to mind :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzaUiutuRk

1 Like

That can be a hard question, as a turtle enthusiast somewhere with a lot of turtle species, but rich in diversity. I wonā€™t say Belize since I am visiting there this December, so probably Ecuador since it does have thirty species of turtles and has one of the richest amounts of biodiversity. Also I have always wanted to visit the desert so Mexico would also be somewhere I would like to visit, also studying the Coahuilan box turtles in the Cuatro CiĆ©negas too.

3 Likes

Agree. There is a place called Cypress Hills in Saskatchewan/Alberta. It escaped Glaciation in NA. Iā€™d love to go there, and the sad thing is itā€™s not that far away from where I live. Lack of motivation?

2 Likes

Gonna be patriotic today, my biggest wishes are Taymyr Peninsula and any northern islands with big (and the biggest for some species) colonies of sea birds, unique northern flora , polar bears and I need to see all their insects! Also, of course, Kamchatka, just something incredible. Baikal, east coast with less amount of tourists and pollution, need to see Baikal Seal. My only Siberian experience was a couple of days in Tomsk, so I would love to visit it at summer. At least those places are realistic. My main dream is the Namib desert, but gonna wait many years for that.

7 Likes

I would like to go to the rainforest in brazil 30 000 bc.
To see giant sloths and elephants in a real primary rainforest different from all what we know, without any humans.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @frank007 !

I would love to visit such places:

1. Rainforests of Central and South America
  2. The meadows and mountains of Europe
  3. The Arctic and Antarctic
  4. Coral Reefs
  5. Savannahs of Africa

You know what I really just want to go everywhere tbh. Currently the main thing in any holiday agenda of mine is: Can I go see nature so I can upload new things to iNat?

3 Likes

I have been lucky enough to have been to Bhutan and I must say it was a magical experience.

2 Likes

This is my dream, I have been in love with Lake Baikal since I first read about it in National Geographic Magazine as a child. I hope one day I can see it, although as a broke Californian who doesnā€™t speak russian, getting there may prove somewhat difficult.

5 Likes

Well, all you need is air ticket to Moscow and train ticket on Trans-Siberian Railway from Moscow. And of course time. Iā€™m gonna visit it this summer, thereā€™s a separate railway around the lake so you can not just stay at one place but visit everything you want. Also east coast is better as less ppl visit it so itā€™s clearer.

4 Likes

Madagascar constantly contends for the top of my list.

2 Likes

Well I guess Iā€™m living out one of my goals since Iā€™m spending 6 months in the Amazon!

5 Likes

Ooohh!!! You lucky thing, you! Iā€™ve visited but only for 10 days or so. How did you manage it?

2 Likes