Ignore "Pupa" tag when reading taxa from photo tags in web uploader

When I use the web photo uploader
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/upload
to make a new observation out of a photo tagged with a taxon name as well as the life stage of “pupa”, the taxon selected by the uploader is the snail genus Pupa.

But pupa is far more common as a life stage than as a taxon, so could this tag be ignored by the uploader taxon selector? Then another keyword indicating a taxon would be selected as the taxon for the observation.

Variations on the tag, like “Pupa sp.” or “Genus Pupa” could still be read as Genus Pupa, for those who are uploading photos of the snail genus.

We’ll add it to the list that already contains California, Tanzania, and others. Does anyone else have words that should be added to this list?

1 Like

Off the top of my head with no research at all I know Argentina is both a plant and fish genus

2 Likes

And Peru is a cricket genus.

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

Yes yes! Please add “Peru” to the list. Everything I tag with that is labeled as Wild Turkey (Peru), which sometimes includes uploads of some 50 moths from Peru at once, even if I have the correct order, family, subfamily, and tribe all in the tags. For some reason Peru is prioritized among the tags as a species name, but like most people I don’t put the species name as a tag but rather as the title of the photo. While you’re at it, please remove “Peru” from the common name of Wild Turkey, unless it’s a good idea to add the rest of of the world’s language names in parentheses too. As far as I know, only Portuguese uses the word Peru for the bird. Thanks, Rich (Birdernaturalist)

1 Like