iNat Milestones

Currently passed 2700 species (2714 as of now),Not too shabby considering I’ve only started observing since late December 2022. goal for the end of the year is to get to 3000, a foreseeable trip to Hungary at the end of the month should make it a bit easier than limiting myself to UK species.

13 Likes

This is the first balcony I have ever had, and I never had a garden. The balcony is quite small, see the photos below. However, my house project has reached the beautiful milestone of 100 species! Many of which have been animals found on my balcony.

One of my favourite observations was this Aglais io resting on one of the chairs.

21 Likes

And a wonderful contrast to your neighbour’s ‘empty’ balcony.
What an achievement!

6 Likes

That is a really cool milestone, amazing! Let us know when you hit 111 … it’s really inspiring how much one can even observe in such a small urban place

5 Likes

Reached 500 species in California (on 726 total observations, efficient :slightly_smiling_face:). That’s more than I have submitted from Colorado, despite living there for 5 years (before joining, but I’ve added some old photos) and visiting regularly. It’s much easier to identify plants digitally in California, thanks to iNat checklists, Jepson, and Calflora.

12 Likes

The balcony is great, yes! Not to be misunderstood though, most species come from the balcony, but definitely not all. The project conditions show what is included:

Quite a few moths and spiders were on glass panels or walls on the building. I included a few plants growing against the building when I was learning the weeds on my streets. I found a juvenile Eurasian Blue Tit stuck against a glass pane, one of the two birds so far included in the project.

5 Likes

Careful! It starts out harmless enough, with just a few small potted herbs, but before you know it the plants have taken over your space and are trying to invade the neighbor’s as well, and you can’t go on vacation because the plants need to be watered twice a day.

(My space is a bit larger and I have a wall on one side that I have been using to maximize the available growing area. The pumpkins were fun, but I’ve given up on them – too thirsty – in favor of runner beans and native plants that are more valuable for our local pollinators.)

Nice to see some native wildflowers in the mix! You might consider replacing the small pots with larger planters at some point; the plants will be happier with more soil and they won’t run out of water and nutrients quite so quickly. There are “self-watering” planters that have a water reservoir at the bottom which is really useful.

If you see bees at all you can also consider putting out nesting tubes (“insect hotel”). The most common urban species (Osmia bicornis) is finished for the year, but it’s a possibility for next year, or you might still get some of the summer species (e.g. some of the leafcutter bees will use tubes or nest in flower pots).

12 Likes

Or, you could include a plant sitter in your vacation budget.

2 Likes

Cleared the last of my CNC slice.

13 Likes

Um, you are aware that the entire paragraph was a humorously exaggerated “warning” about the balcony garden getting out of control and the creator becoming a slave to one’s plants?

Hit 4000 observations recently! When I hit 3000 I simultaneously hit 1000 distinct species as well which was awesome!

12 Likes

3333 species! I was going to wait until 4000 species, but that could be a few years, so here’s my 3333 species milestone.

19 Likes

As a naturalist I’ve officially peaked, its all downhill from here (unless someone wants to ID a bunch of my stuff so I can get 2420 species I’d be thrilled)

11 Likes

I’ve already made over 84,000 identifications!

14 Likes

Thanks for all your hard work!

6 Likes

I am personally grateful for all the bee IDing you do (especially Bombus)

4 Likes

A day late but damn did it almost line up

6 Likes

My favorites list is current home to all of my first-in-state observations, of which I just hit 11. Above everything else I do on iNat I feel like these are some of my most important contributions. Most are RG but a few are in need of a second opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if I had one or two more without knowing, but it’s a lot of work to crawl through 1500+ species just to figure that out. Don’t suppose anyone knows an easier way to check if I have the first observation of something in a given region?

Either way, fingers crossed that I’ll get the first observation of a species period at some point.

8 Likes

A few months later and I’ve hit 1000 species!!

16 Likes

It was Oct 2022 when I recorded species #4000 for ‘my’ city.
I anticipated many more years would be needed for another 1000 - how wrong I have been!

Took me only 1 year and 8 months!

However, more than 3000 additional species have been found by others, so a lot more to discover :smirk:

18 Likes