iNaturalist Misidentification Project

This post was created so that iNaturalist Misidentification Project members have a place to communicate

A Collection of Identification Guides
Keep in mind that we are just starting, so we may not have information on some species

2/8/2023 Edit: Link updated to reflect recent changes within the structure of the project

3 Likes

To which extent can the ai, computer vision assist in distinguish annotations e.g. ā€œroad killā€, ā€œimagoā€, ā€œLarveā€, ā€œCaterpillarā€?, ā€œjuvenielā€, ā€œadultā€ ā€œmaleā€ ā€œfemaleā€

(this project will help/ assist in the goal)

3 Likes

Sex annotation : I think CV might be able to do sex annotation in species with high amounts of sexual dimorphism. But with species that have little or no sexual dimorphism i think it would be impossible for the CV to annotate correctly.

Life stage : Most species you can easily do life stage annotations, for example moths is (egg - larva (caterpillar) - moth). With those types of species i think CV could be very useful, as life stage annotations take up time that could be used for other annotations.

Plant phenology : Most plant species that i have encountered are easy to determine if it is flowering, fruiting, flower budding or no evidence of flowering so in these species i think CV could be very useful.

Summary : CV would be useful in ā€œeasyā€ species, but in ā€œharderā€ species it would quickly become useless.

Note 1 : identifiers would have to ā€œtrainā€ the CV with atleast a few hundred observations so that it can reliably annotate.

Note 2 : even if the CV only can annotate easy species, it would save a lot of time for annotators to focus on harder species.

1 Like

Arge Moth (Apantesis Arge) annotations complete!

The iNaturalist Annotation Effort has finished its first moth species today! the species is called ā€œArge Mothā€ and it has 984 observations on iNat.

Results :
Arge moths are most frequently observed in May
There is roughly 10x more adult observations then larva observations
Doris tiger moths are sometimes misidentified as Arge moth

Stats :

Adult : 894
Larva : 85
Misidentifications found : 13
Annotation time : 2 days (This means we finished all Arge moth observations 2 days after we started the species)
User(s) on species : 1

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking recently about how important and useful annotation isā€¦ and I was wondering whether it would be possible to list annotators the way we list observers and identifiers?

4 Likes

From what i know of iNaturalist, there is no way currently to list annotators the way we list observers and identifiers

However, you can put a feature request in if you want.

I put it in feature requests.

3 Likes

a old feature request on using the CV to annotate:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/use-computer-vision-to-annotate-observations/3331

4 Likes

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/use-computer-vision-to-annotate-observations/3331/20

We could certainly train a computer vision model to predict annotations like life stage rather than species. But remember to train the model, weā€™ll still need lots of training data so the more life stage annotations you can add the better the model will be

Bulk Selection of Observations to Add to a Project - Feature Requests - iNaturalist Community Forum

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/use-computer-vision-to-annotate-observations/3331/43

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/use-computer-vision-to-annotate-observations/3331/20

We could certainly train a computer vision model to predict annotations like life stage rather than species. But remember to train the model, weā€™ll still need lots of training data so the more life stage annotations you can add the better the model will be

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/new-computer-vision-model-released/24729/33

4 Likes

Instead of quoting me and editing the words, quote from the right person - The first quote is from a staff member called loarie the second quote is from tiwane.

You can quote from another forum thread and putting it here by copy pasting the quote.

see the /20 on hospers link? That goes straight to loarieā€™s comment.

2 Likes

There is an existing feature request for this (or at least similar) that can be voted on:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-annotations-tab-on-profile-page/24964

Changing Project Priorities
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Should we change the iNaturalist Annotation Effortā€™s goal from ā€œAnnotating entire speciesā€ to ā€œEducating people on annotating, misidentifications, etcā€

This would mean instead of focusing entirely on annotating, we will try to educate people on how to identify and correct misidentifications in similar species, and we will also try to educate people on the importance of annotating.

We would still be annotating, but the project would be leaning towards education.

We will also rename the project to ā€œiNaturalist Annotation & Educationā€ if project priorities are changed

Edit : Poll is closed, Project priorities have changed and the project is renamed to ā€œiNaturalist Annotation & Educationā€

If you do rename I would spell out
Annotation & Education.
You know what your A and E are, but each new person wonā€™t.
PS you can drop ā€˜projectā€™ tho.

2 Likes

The project is now focusing on Misidentifications instead of Annotations. The reasons we are doing this is because (1) Annotations are important, But there are so many misidentifications that pollute the research-grade observations and (2) Generally Misidentifications are more important to fix then annotations

Click Here for commonly misidentified taxa and how to fix them. Plus we provide keys if we have them.

Please keep in mind that we do not have information on every species, if you know a species that is misidentified, let me know and I will add it

If you have complaints, or suggestions contact me in the comments of that post or message me on iNat

Update on project, 2/8/2023 : I have added 18 plant guides and 4 insect guides (Click Here) to the project, Please let me know if you have a link to a guide that is not in the project

Hey folks, the forum isnā€™t a place for specific project discussions like this, Iā€™m sorry. If it was, then pretty much any project could use it as such and it would be unmanageable. Iā€™ve unlisted this topic and set it to close in two days.

Some options you might consider for project-specific discussions:

• comments on a projectā€™s journal post on iNat

• a discord for the project

• a google group for the project

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.