Is there any way to find my duplicate observations?

Over the past year my backlog has gone a bit a-wire. Now that I have some free time, I’m trying to reduce the backlog.
The problem is that I realised I had already submited some photos that are still in my “Not yeat submited” folder, either because I forgot to remove them or because I submited them through the app and didn’t remove them on my computer.
Which leads to my initial question: is there any way for me to find duplicates among my observations?

Only via the Mk. I Eyeball, as far as I know.

I am confident someone knows an easy-peasy workaround but if nobody steps forward with one, I am happy to look through your observations for you. I am unable to make observations temporarily and unqualified to identify; I would appreciate the opportunity to give back.

(But truly, I am sure there is some cool formula someone is going to show up with in 3, 2, 1…)

You can sort your observations by time of observation. Then the duplicates should appear above each other.

4 Likes

…assuming the pic metadata is present.

Fair assumption!

1 Like

When I identify I have it sorted by time of observation.
And I have copypasta ready for
duplicate please delete
or - multiples please combine.
For you for your own obs it will be easy to sort.

1 Like

Before uploading, always check the date photos come from, easy way to not upload duplicates.

1 Like

Or check here (replace my name with yours) day by day before you upload the doubtful ones

https://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/dianastuder

1 Like

You could use the inat export tool to get a CSV file listing all your current observations (there’s a 200k limit on how many you can download at once, but you’re well below that). You can then create a similar CSV file listing the photos in your “pending” folder, and use a spreadsheet program to compare them (or write a simple script if you have some basic programming skills). Of course, the exact details of how you go about this will depend on the way you organise your photos. If your file-naming scheme doesn’t provide enough information, you may be able to extract what you need from the photo metadata using something like exiftool.