Miscellaneous Tips & Tricks

I have a tip to share that doesn’t really warrant a tutorial of it’s own, but for those I have shared it with it has been well received… so I thought I would start a “tips and tricks” thread. If you like the tips, click the hearts rather than adding “neat trick” comments… and if you have similar tips you think others might like then reply with your own tip. Hopefully everyone discovers something nifty :slight_smile:

MY TIP:
If you struggle with learning scientific names, and especially if you have difficulty remembering the spelling of many of them, then one thing that can help is knowing that you only have to enter the first 3 or so letters of each part of the name, and the iNat lookups will usually find your taxa and put it at or near the top of the shortlist that appears. For instance, if I want to enter an ID for a kereru, which is Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae , all I have to enter is “hem nov” and my desired taxon is at the top of the list! That makes it very easy to work with scientific names, and you will find that the more you work with them, the better you will get at remembering what they are. Eventually, just thinking “hem nov” helps remember the full scientific name… and the spelling of difficult ones becomes easier in the same way. Sometimes you have to enter 4 letters of each name to get the desired one to the top of the list, but then again, just having it appear in the top 5 is just as good for helping to learn them! You can change your settings to show scientific names first, and of course vernaculars can be fallen back on until you remember the 3+3 letter combos…

And yes, I know CV is probably eventually going to handle it all for us anyway… :smiley:

24 Likes