Music to iNat To?

I never listen to music when I Inat because it drains sounds around me(birds, water, insects, other people, etc.) However, I do listen to music when I am uploading my photos since it helps me concentrate on it.

3 Likes

Glad to hear everyone’s suggestions! At the least I feel less weird about listening to video game music while IDing, but I guess IDing and all the muscle memory/key presses is kind of like (virtuous) videogaming anyways

6 Likes

I’m gonna chase some bugs while listening to Human Fly

2 Likes

I love listening to music while I ID! I enjoy making oddly specific little playlists for all sorts of things. Here are some highlights from my forest adventuring playlist that I like to listen to while I do nature stuff. I like a lot of different kinds of music so there’s probably something in here for you! Enjoy ♫

Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along
Glass Animals - Walla Walla
The Oh Hellos - Soldier, Poet, King
Hozier - In The Woods Somewhere
Cosmo Sheldrake - Wriggle
Glass Animals - Wyrd
Erutan - The Willow Maid
Chloe Moriondo - Little Moth
Cosmo Sheldrake - Tardigrade Song
Of Monsters And Men - Dirty Paws
Glass Animals - Dust In Your Pocket
Cosmo Sheldrake - Pelicans We
Juniper Vale - Bird Song
Emily Finchum - Bones

3 Likes

I have that problem on the Forum, but not while identifying.

I let iTunes’ algorithm pick the playlist out of the approximately 80 genres I have. If something with distracting lyrics comes on while I’m reading the forum, I take a break to ID for a while.

1 Like

Gotta get that Safari vibe going (even if the Safari is just in your backyard lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_H_OfJzYA

If you’ll excuse my slight tangent
 still music, but more for iNat observing rather than identifying.

Whenever I have the need to focus while observing, what mainly comes to mind are themes from Mahler’s Symphony No. 1 Mvt. I. Especially the first few lines if I’m just starting out. To me, it captures the awakening of spring, and perhaps a touch of mystery, in not knowing what one will find. I believe it was Mahler’s intention to capture the feeling of spring in that first movement, and you can definitely hear it at points. A few other pieces as well, but Mahler is my go-to.

Note that this all plays in my head - I have the convenience of having a virtual playlist in my head which I can play at will, probably due to many years having to play and/or memorize pieces for string orchestra.

1 Like

The only music I listen to is from video games. Occasionally I do listen to music while iNatting. IMO the best video game soundtracks belong to Pokemon, 3D Mario, Zelda, and Undertale/Deltrarune. Minecraft music is pretty relaxing, too.

1 Like

Almost every session we ID includes observations with bird audio and so iNat is supplying the soundtrack. Any external noise would distract. Some of the most popular songs we ID include:
Carolina Wren
Northern Mockingbird
House Finch

Our favorite audio that we recorded is brewer’s sparrow, which maybe sounds techno?
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/67983648

1 Like

I mainly listen to the playlist I made that’s centered around iNatting.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2UAaUIPa8kthOsgrxhdLpv?si=59f1c1ee62264520
I enjoy putting this on during my walks looking for wildlife. I enjoy it because it’s calm and relaxing.

Somebody ported that to the PS Vita and it’s definitely got some iNaturalist vibes in the music lol.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.