My Observation Data Spreadsheet

I have been working on and “evolving” a excel sheet for almost 3 years now, and what better place to share then the forums. Maybe if any of you are interested i could pass the file and you could use to track your observations. But be warned I’ve spent so many hours fiddling with formulas changing things updating the data constantly. Its quite a bit of work but none the less this is my data as of 5/14/2020. Hopefully somebody will find it interesting.

Release 1 OUTDATED but here if you want
https://www.mediafire.com/file/d3q06ykpqslroou/Observations_Release_1.xlsx/file

Release 2 (updated)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fwa2wpsgb1h96cs/Observations_Release_2.xlsx/file

10 Likes

Here is as the title suggests My average obs a month, colored sort of by tempeture. Notice large gaps when i take breaks.

2 Likes

Here is observations. For the months i added medals Gold Silver and Bronze for the top 3 months.

3 Likes

Hear are three graphs, one showing the total observations I’ve made for each month on a pie chart, the second is my observations per year, with the estiment for this years new obs I’ve made, and the 3rd one i keep close eye on because it shows the “difficulty” to find new species. Since species are finite and i can only photo so many different species in my yard etc, it takes more and more observations to find new species.

3 Likes

Hear are the total number of different identifiers of my observations, and a graph with the number of observation per month by year.

This shows Species, Difficulty in finding new species, and the amount of work put into observing by month and year, also with average US temperature and the averages, totals, etc. These 3 and the other one i use very often.

2 Likes

Right is species, left is observations.

1 Like

Another view plus the raw data in the middle.

2 Likes

The red date is an estiment, there are two red dots that where placed back then to see the accuracy of my formulas estiment. They are near the estiment line. Also the numbers are colored by season/temperature.
Observations - Excel 5_14_2020 11_45_12 PM

All the numbers and formulas that I’m using to get estiments. Its not super complex but at the same time its complex. The estiments are from averages of months, year, days etc. So it should get more accurate as more data is fed to it.

3 Likes

The black cells divide the observation estiment from the species estiment on the right.

1 Like

Here is the data of my observations by US State

And that’s good for now not every graph/raw data etc is shown, but if anybody as questions, comments, complements, complaints, etc. Feel free to reply.

3 Likes

neat , thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Been wanting to share this for the past couple of months, but guess i never got around to doing it until now. Thank you, glad someone found this intriguing.

3 Likes

Being both a data and Excel geek this is awesome. I would love to see some of my data on these charts. If you’re willing share the file I would gladly put it to use.
Thanks for sharing this.

4 Likes

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! This must have been a whole lot of work. Great job!

3 Likes

I love this. I second finatic’s comment – I’d love to give the spreadsheet a shot, and hope that the iNat establishment might consider some of your measures as part of a revamped personal profile page one day, or the year-end-reviews, or something – well done!

2 Likes

I made it because i was upset about the lack of graphs charts etc you could see about yourself.

2 Likes

I think i have to edit it to make switching from a new month a little easier as it can be confusing, i am by no means an expert so many of the formulas or the way i use it may be quite inefficient. What i can do though is duplicate the excel sheet and edit out the estiment so its just the numbers and the graphs and i would release that.

1 Like