Notifications on iNaturalist - Please Share Your Ideas!

Merr, long topic, not sure if already mentioned but I didn’t see it in a quick re-browse:

I have agreeing ID notifications turned off. I don’t find it useful to receive notifications for coarser, non-disagreeing IDs. I would only want to see a notification here if there was a comment attached.

8 Likes

I see you added a similar post to another topic. Did you mean to add this here too? This topic about notifications.

Sorry the original moderator who replied to the original post on that topic suggested adding to this one but you’re right now that I think this is about notifications it doesn’t belong here. I’ll remove it.

1 Like

Strongly agree with this. It’s my biggest issue with the current system.

9 Likes

Regarding notifications, I’d like the ability to suppress notifications of any Casual observations I am entering into iNaturalist. For example, I have bird and plant lists from 15 years ago (before I even had a camera) that I would like to enter into iNaturalist as Casual observations, as I still think this information is useful (at least to me). However, I don’t think any of my followers would be happy getting flooded with old, undocumented observations from way back when. If there was a personal setting to turn off notifications to my followers for Casual observations, that would be helpful.

2 Likes

If you add them as a batch, your followers will get a single notification like:

arnel added 22 observations
[4 picures with IDs]
[View Observations] [ Identify ] Show More…

6 Likes

How about a ‘Remind Me’ service?
For example if someone posts an obs of a plant I really want to see when they are flowering again next spring, I can make a comment on the obs of the format: RemindMe! TIME “MESSAGE” . For example: "RemindMe! 03/15/2020 “Must see this!” means that on the 15th March 2020 your comment pops up as a notification. Could also be used to check on obs where a person was supposed to split the pictures, or withdraw an ID etc.
To make it a hidden/private reminder one can PM the reminder to a user called @remindme and make the message the URL of an observation.

7 Likes

Sort of similar to the remind me, what if we could mark notifications as unread or star them for later?

8 Likes

I recall now that I quit using the “Show More” button on the observations that show up on my dashboard in favor of going back to the “View Observation” button, because “Show More” does not remove the notification from the list of notifications but “View Observation” does. I’m not sure I’ve got the facts right, but if I do (and if it’s possible) I would like an option to have the use of “Show More” remove the observation from the notifications list.

4 Likes

No, please stop them, or at least allow configuration to turn them off. Having just resolved 60+ species request flags from a user which generated a notification for everyone, I completely concur. I don’t need a notification telling me I resolved a flag. I know that, I just did it 2 seconds ago…

9 Likes

This is a long thread and I admit I haven’t read it, but in case no one has said this yet:
I would like to receive notifcations of both agreeing and disagreeing IDs, but sorted in seperate lists.

8 Likes

There’s a discrepancy with the notification for flags when it’s resolved and when someone comments on it. For the former it describes the object being flagged, but for the latter it lists the person who created the flag. This makes it seem like I’m receiving notifications for two different flags, but really it was the same one.

5 Likes

As we mentioned today in the post about requesting revision of misidentified id once documentation is provided of more correct id criteria, it would be nice being able to notify a request for revision with a special tag in the comments (like @@someone) and have a sticky notification in the notification dropdown of the recipient dashboard or a specific counter for that.

Yes, absolutely!

I too want to get notifications for these. My problem is that I’m too much of an amateur to know if someone’s finer ID is disagreeing with me or not!

In the observation itself, there’s nice bold text that says " [name] disagrees this is [taxon]". In the notifications on the home, the “show more” button just lists the IDs without marking if they agree or not.

I’ve left wrong IDs in place too long because there wasn’t enough activity to move my ID to maverick, there was no comment, and I assumed the disagreeing ID was just refining mine.

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think by definition a finer ID can’t be a disagreement, it’s just a refinement. So if you ID an observation as Class Aves (Birds) and I ID it to Red-tailed Hawk (a species) I’m not disagreeing with you that it’s a bird, I’m just being more specific.

3 Likes

The problem is that the dashboard notification does not say whether the new ID is a refinement or a disagreement, nor does it include my ID, so then it’s necessary to open the observation just to find out there is no disagreement. Example:

observation here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/819205

(And I have my account settings set to not get notifications of IDs that agree with mine. Consequently, I make fewer observations of birds these days.)

6 Likes

“Finer” maybe was the wrong word to use. “Specific” would better describe what I’m getting at.

E.g., when I first started iNat, I didn’t know that cranes and herons were in completely different orders. So if I IDed something as “Cranes, Rails, and Allies (Order Gruiformes)”, and someone came along after me and IDed it as “Typical Herons (Subfamily Ardeinae)”, I’d just assume their subfamily ID was a refinement of my order ID…when in fact it was an explicit disagreement.

3 Likes

Well, the “show more” button should expand it to show your ID…but, yeah, it doesn’t say whether the IDs are disagreements or not.

@tiwane
E.g. Here, I at least already knew Tulip Trees weren’t a type of grass…the dashboard, even expanded, doesn’t reveal that, though:

The observation, however, does:

If I didn’t know that Genus Liriodendron wasn’t under Order Poales, though, I would have never visited the observation to see that disagreement; I’d have assumed oxalismtp was refining my ID. I sometimes go to https://www.inaturalist.org/identifications?user_id=star3&category=maverick to find observations I may need to take a 2nd look at, but that wouldn’t help me here, because there aren’t enough IDs yet to push me to maverick. I can’t use the “my identifications” page either, because the agree/disagree totals were removed (never mind that the ordering would make this inefficient).

7 Likes

You’re right, my ID does show under “Show More.” When there are a lot of them at once, though–a bunch of subspecies of different birds becoming extremely popular–this is still not ideal. Ideally, I would like to be able to opt out (stressing I would want it to be optional) to not receive notifications of subspecies–of birds, plants, anything–that do not disagree with my ID.

1 Like

I hear you, @sgene, I was just trying to get at what @star3 was after. Sounds like it’s more of a display issue.

If many of these IDs are coming from the same user or small number of users, you can mute the users. I’ve done that for some users who are IDing my observations to the ssp level, which I don’t care to be notified about.

3 Likes