Observations "hiding" in other observations; Share your examples!

Here’s one of an . . . unnatural kind. Maybe somebody will appreciate it.

I was was out in the countryside focusing on an osprey diving into a river. It caught a fish so big, it couldn’t fly away with it. After struggling for about 5 full minutes, it gave up and flew away.

Only later when editing the photos I noticed a Lamborghini had zoomed past in the background.

5 Likes

Osprey and big fish I’ve seen.
But a Lamborghini?
I think I’m motorhead enough to actually put that in “lifer of the week”!

2 Likes

It’s not ‘‘another observation’’ but that is a nice Lamborghini hehehe.

1 Like

Cardamine species can be annoyingly hard to tell apart. I’m trying to learn to tell C. occulta, C. hirsuta, and C. pennsylvanica apart.

1 Like

I just realized there were twisted-wing insects parasitizing this dark paper wasp I saw last year. I went back and found some surprisingly (and completely accidentally) good shots of the wasp’s abdomen; I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me at the time to try to figure out why the abdomen was so distorted.

3 Likes

Oh, and forgot to tell you, they are damselflies, not dragonflies hehe.

Nice pictures. And that snail is adorable.

I’m not sure why I wrote dragonfly. I got it right on my second post though. I’ve got it recorded as Pyrrhosoma nymphula (Large Red Damselfly) but it’s still on my list to make into an observation.

1 Like

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

I went on a short walk in the park today and found what I think is a wild geranium. I grabbed a photo of it, but the sun was so bright that it was difficult to see my phone screen as I took it, so I hardly noticed that there was a tiny beetle hiding on it!

2 Likes

Today I’m editing photos from last year and I just found this little damselfly next to the water moccasin I was photographing

Northern Cottonmouth / Water Moccasin
Fragile Forktail (damselfly)

8 Likes

What’s funny is that the damselfly is more in focus than the snake!

4 Likes