Operation Dethrone Mallard 2022

Casuarina or Eucalyptus may work there. Or Ficus benjamina, which I have seen in every city I have visited since… ever I think

1 Like

I have that ficus in my old house (big enough to be hard for transportation to another city), got presented with it in school times, it’s hard to imagine having them growing outside even as planted.

1 Like

Also, it might comfort y’all that there are only 45 observations of Anas platyrhynchos in Peru as a whole. To be honest, I was expecting a lot more.
Edit: the most observed species here are Pyrocephalus rubinus with 839 obs., Zenaida meloda with 640, and Zonotrichia capensis with 602. I see these every day yet Zonotrichia is always too fast or too far for my phone camera to handle :(

2 Likes

How big? Here they only grow like, less than a meter tall.
There are yes, 10+ m individuals but these are very, very rare. Most of the time they barely surpass 5-7m. Out of 10 trees planted in the city I’m at, 5-6 should be Ficus benjamina.

2 Likes

For being addition to many bags that I get each time each plant is too big.) I actually can’t say how tall it is, around metre, but also roudish, so I let it stay and grow there.
I though about wild ones, as it’s more valuable and who knows what charts cultivated plants get each year? Here it will be Pinus sylvestris as the easiest to id.

1 Like

F. benjamina was growing in my yard when I was young. My parents cut it down because the roots were growing under the house. I remember it being taller than an adult human by a fair amount, but not much taller than a washing line post. This is growing in the dirt outside, not a pot, and there were about three of them.

3 Likes

Two benjamina on my patio say hi. They have moved with us twice already.
Have been frequently pruned to keep the size manageable.
The library where I started work had a potted benjamina reaching up to fill a high double storey space with ease.

2 Likes

I love Poa annua - it’s so soft and feels great to walk on barefoot. I’d totally have a lawn of it if it didn’t die as soon as summer hit. And if I had a yard. And didn’t hate lawns. Anyway, it’s a nice grass :)

5 Likes

I have up to sixteen squirrels in my yard every day eating seeds and peanuts the birds spill. If I put every individual in every day that would be - well, I am really bad at math and can’t find a calculator, but it would be a lot.

Or, if I was the contrary sort, I could go to the local mill and photograph the hundreds of Mallards that live there all winter individually and submit them. I guess what happens depends on who is contrary and who isn’t. I’m not the contrary sort, but who knows who is reading this and wanting to defend the honour of the Mallards.

3 Likes

I’m not going to have THAT many squirrel photos. I’m not going to purposefully go out and photograph every squirrel everyday. But since I get all these photos from my trailcam anyway I might as well add them.

2 Likes

There is only one correct choice, and it is the Muskrat. For obvious reasons

12 Likes

No. I’m not even sure some of them can be identified!

5 Likes

A lofty goal indeed LOL. I will do my part by avoiding adding any Mallard observations - I’d like to see the green-headed king dethroned as well. I noticed I have 8 Mallard observations, but after seeing your post, I now have 7

2 Likes

Please, don’t delete anything because of forum posts, there’s nothing bad in mallard observations.

6 Likes

Perhaps a geneticist could be persuaded to have a look at the mallard genome. If it proved to be several cryptic species, that would knock it down the list.

5 Likes

Indeed, the only honorable way of beating the mallard is posting more of something else, not less mallards!

But after more than 2% of the year over already and no consensus in sight, I’ll put my money on the mallards staying on top anyway.

7 Likes

I assume captive observations don’t count towards this? I could add plenty of honeybees, but they are all coming from a bee farm down the road - I go there to buy my honey, knowing it has been harvested at least partially in my yard - so I would feel I’d have to mark them captive since I know exactly where their hives are and who takes care of them.

1 Like

Yes.

Also, I agree with some others here that spending a lot of time, energy, and resources to dethrone Mallards is, in my opinion, not a great use of all those things. Adding IDs, helping people learn how to use iNat, recruiting experts, increasing use in underserved regions, and encouraging people to observe a wider variety of taxa would really help the community overall. As much as I’d love to see Mallards not on top, I’d love to see iNat’s community and overall taxonomic list expand in breadth and depth.

FWIW, through 2015 or so when iNat was much more California-centric, mallard and western fence lizard were neck-and-neck.

8 Likes

Yeah this makes me sad. Avoiding posting mallards including the one with the deformed wings (data more valuable) just seems to go against the purpose of inat.

It’s too bad taraxacum taxonomy is hot garbage because that would be the obvious choice.

6 Likes

Canada Geese would be a good option if people would stop IDing them as Cackling Geese.

2 Likes