Opt-in obscure all observations at varying levels as a privacy setting

As a matter of privacy, i would very much like to be able to obscure all my observations. I recently realized it would be easy for someone to google my name, find my i-nat profile, and find out where I live by looking at my observations. Since i currently have restraining orders on some people for receiving credible threats of harm (some personal issues I’ll not go into here), I’ve just realized i naturalist provides a pretty easy for people who know my name to find out where I live if they want to.

I understand the worry that iNaturalist loses a lot of value/information if everyone obscures all observations, but i think there should be an optional opt-in obscure all option in account settings for people who would like to obscure-all. There could be various levels, such as obscure for non-members (anyone not logged in) or obscure from members but not projects (similar to current obscure rules).

To be clear, I am 100% happy with iNat storing the accurate location and giving it for projects and anyone involved in conservation work, biology, ect via those projects. I would just like obscured locations so it would be harder for someone to find out where I live/work based on looking at a map of my observations (as right now, it would be incredibly easy).

edit: I intended this to be in feature request, not general. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

The best way to currently do this is via batch editing. You can select up to 200 of your observations at once --> edit selected -->

4 Likes

This question was addressed by staff here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/changing-default-geoprivacy/14207

4 Likes

Thanks, TBC. I just did the ones around my house, so it should be much harder to narrow down an exact street/house number, without affecting other observations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.