Published papers that use iNaturalist data - wiki 1 (up to 2019)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Other sites like iNaturalist spreadsheet

I’ve started to add these, and for now the list is in alphabetical order by author. Please holler in these comments as the list grows if you would prefer to arrange it by year or some other system. Where there are discoveries without a publication yet, I haven’t included them.

3 Likes

I’ve now updated the publication list with everything from the spreadsheet (except those that have not yet resulted in a publication). I had to remove the user tags as it’s only possible to tag up to 10 users in one post, so it didn’t make sense to have some users tagged and others not. I also reorganised by year, as the list was starting to get quite long - this makes it easier to see the most recent articles.

4 Likes

There are many papers to add from 2019 alone, found simply by searching “iNaturalist” in Google Scholar. Some are based on individual observations, such as first records or rediscoveries in a state or country (e.g. Jain et al., 2019. Rediscovery of the orange gull butterfly, Cepora iudith malaya, in Singapore, and Van der Heyden, 2019. First record of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini) in Costa Rica), while others glean trends from bulk analysis of observations (e.g. Rowley et al. 2019. FrogID: CItIzen ScientIsts Provide validated Biodiversity Data on Frogs of Australia, which notes “6% of the 892 photographic submissions of frogs from Australia in 2017 submitted to iNaturalist showed frogs being handled with bare hands” and “only 5%… of the submissions from Australia [were] identified to species in iNaturalist in 2017”). From casual browsing it looks like some iNaturalist observers are co-authors on papers, which is very nice. I think there’s a discussion to be had regarding the strengths and weaknesses of publishing based on citizen science photographs alone, and other ethical considerations, but I’ll leave that to a different time and place.

3 Likes

Great, thanks for that. I have added those three publications to the list. Feel free to add others if you have time and inclination, and/or to start a thread on the strengths and weaknesses of publishing based on photos - could be an interesting discussion!

2 Likes

Greetings y’all,

I am interested in this forum as I will soon be presenting (2019 World Congress of Malacology) and subsequently publishing a paper on the Molluscan Mycophagy project.

Please add our rediscovery of Anadenulus paper to this list that used iNaturalist data (send me a message for a PDF):

Richart, C. H., L. F. Chichester, B. Boyer, & T. A. Pearce (2018) Rediscovery of the Southern California Endemic American Keeled Slug Anadenulus cockerelli (Hemphill, 1890) after a 68-Year Hiatus. Journal of Natural History, 2018, 1–17. Observations: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9505954 | https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9505952 | https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/5179160 | https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/5198781 | https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9505951 | https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2648495

@deboas, in the first sentence of this forum you have “this discussion” written, and the text is blue, but there doesn’t appear to be a link associated with it. I would like to see that link. Perhaps it was closed after months of inactivity?

5 Likes

@pileated, the top post is a Wiki, so anyone can edit it. Just click on “Edit” in the lower right-hand corner:

The link in the first post’s first paragraph has been fixed, there was an error in the markup code.

2 Likes

Hi,

there are several publications by me (Torsten van der Heyden) which could/should be added here as they mention iNaturalist data:

van der Heyden, T. (2017) Notes on Plinachtus imitator (Reuter, 1891), including the first records for Albania (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Gonocerini). BV news Publicaciones Científicas 6(77): 68-73.

van der Heyden, T. (2018) A male of Turdus merula (Linnaeus, 1758) showing an interesting colour aberration (Passeriformes: Turdidae). BV news Publicaciones Científicas 7(97): 124-127.

van der Heyden, T. (2018) Recent records of Tongorma Kirkaldy (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Phyllomorphini) from Botswana and Zambia. Revista Chilena de Entomología 44(3): 303-305.

van der Heyden, T. (2018) First record of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini) in Albania. Revista Chilena de Entomología 44(3): 355-356.

van der Heyden, T. (2018) First record of Hierodula transcaucasica Brunner von Wattenwyl (Mantodea: Mantidae: Mantinae: Paramantini) in Albania. Revista Chilena de Entomología 44(4): 407-409.

van der Heyden, T. (2018) New data on the distribution of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini), including the first record of the species in Georgia. Revista Chilena de Entomología 44(4): 433-435.

van der Heyden, T. (2018) First record of Zelus renardii Kolenati (Heteroptera: Reduviidae: Harpactorinae) in Israel. Revista Chilena de Entomología 44(4): 463-465.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) New data on the biology and distribution of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann, 1910 (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini). Arquivos Entomolóxicos 21: 31-32.

Brailovsky, H. & van der Heyden, T. (2019) New distributional notes and key to the known species of Leptoglossus Guérin-Méneville from Guatemala (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini). Revista Chilena de Entomología 45(1): 175-180.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) First record of Microtomus cinctipes (Stål) (Heteroptera: Reduviidae: Hammacerinae) in Panama and a recent record of the species in Ecuador. Revista Chilena de Entomología 45(2): 201-203.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) First record of Microtomus luctuosus (Stål) (Heteroptera: Reduviidae: Hammacerinae) in Honduras. Revista Chilena de Entomología 45(2): 253-255.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) First records of Dryadocoris apicalis (Herrich-Schäffer) (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae: Pentatominae: Antestiini) for Albania. Revista Chilena de Entomología 45(3): 331-333.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini) in Israel. Revista Chilena de Entomología 45(3): 435-437.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) First record of Corythauma ayyari (Drake) (Heteroptera: Tingidae) in Monaco. Revista Chilena de Entomología 45(4): 579-581.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) First record of Spilostethus furcula (Herrich-Schäffer, 1850) (Heteroptera: Lygaeidae) in Greece. Revista gaditana de Entomología X(1): 139-140.

van der Heyden, T. (2019) Recent records of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann, 1910 on the Balearic Islands (Spain) (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini). Arquivos Entomolóxicos 21: 193-194.

All papers are available (as PDFs) on internet - but if you like to get one or more of them directly: Just let me know…

Best,

Torsten

4 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Brilliant, thank you! I have added these to the wiki. It should be editable by anyone, so please feel free to make any needed changes. If you have time to add links to the articles and relevant observations, even better.

Best,

Ben

2 Likes

Well, one more:

van der Heyden, T. (2019): First record of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann, 1910 (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Anisoscelini) in Algeria. – Revista gaditana de Entomología X(1): 159-161.

1 Like

Hello there,
So I use iNaturalist and have co-authores a small paper with fellow Malte whom I got into iNaturalist. You can access the paper here. So the first ever photographs of living Nososticta impercepta were posted on iNat, that was reported on the paper along with several other records. Malte Seehausen (@mwnhseehausen) started using iNaturalist and since them I have managed to photograph the first living Indolestes lafaeci (some weeks ago) and I’m positive we will eventually publish an updated list with the species we have recorded in Timor-Leste since our first paper.

2 Likes

Thanks Rui! I added your paper and link to the list. You should be able to edit the wiki if you need to add or correct anything, or add any future publications.

I’m not sure how to format this for the wiki, but the Canadian Food Inspection Agency referenced an iNat blog post in documenting a new (invasive) moth for North America:

https://inspection.gc.ca/plant-health/plant-pests-invasive-species/insects/box-tree-moth/fact-sheet/eng/1552914498593/1552914498889

3 Likes

And another one:

van der Heyden, T. (2020) First record of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann, 1910 in Guatemala (Hemiptera, Heteroptera, Coreidae). Boletín de la Asociación española de Entomología, 44(1-2): 00-00.

1 Like

Added, thanks!

https://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SummerInsectPandemicsInTheUnitedStates/

Another one:

van der Heyden, T. (2020) First record of Corythauma ayyari (Drake, 1933) (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Tingidae) in Egypt. Journal of the Heteroptera of Turkey , 2(1): 1-2.

And one more:

van der Heyden, T. & Dioli, P. (2020) First records of Lasiocoris crassicornis (Lucas, 1849) (Heteroptera: Rhyparochromidae) in Lebanon and Israel. Heteroptera Poloniae – Acta Faunistica , 14: 119-120.

Another one:
van der Heyden, T. & Faúndez, E. I. (2020) First records of Leptoglossus occidentalis Heidemann, 1910 (Hemiptera:Heteroptera: Coreidae) in Brazil and South Africa. Boletín del Museo Nacional de Historia Natural del Paraguay , 24(1): 28-30.

One more:
Lupoli, R., van der Heyden, T. & Dioli, P. (2020) Erthesina Spinola, 1837 – a new alien genus for Europe found in Albania (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae). Heteroptera Poloniae – Acta Faunistica 14: 121-123.