Something wrong with GBIF map overlays for numerous insect species

The data is out of date. What is happening is the identifier stored in the schema, for instance like here

no longer represents the same taxon as when it was entered. It no longer represents the same taxon as when entered due to changes in the taxonomic backbone at either iNat or GBIF.

That element has to be entered in order for any GBIF data to show. If it is not entered, no GBIF layer will display, if it is entered, but is outdated, incorrect data will appear.

As far as I am aware, there is no process to to revert anything here, at least not on the iNat side. I donā€™t believe any automated process interacts with the data in schemas.

I canā€™t imagine any way GBIF is going to tolerate a bot or process constantly hammering their site to check for changes or mismatches on the identifiers.

There is no process that can cause a ā€˜reversionā€™ here. There is no automated process at all that updates the data in schemas. There is not even an API endpoint into the data meaning even if you had the needed programming skills, you could not attempt to automate any kind of data upload or update.

All data in schemas is manually entered, unless the site staff decide for some reason to try and do a direct database update, which they clearly dont do, because you can see the data getting outdated, and not added for newly created taxa.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.