Species at Risk and Geocaching groups / Trail making groups

The groups of individuals who geocache may not overlap the groups of individuals whom are naturalists. The groups of individuals who create greenspace trails may not overlap naturalists either.

I just tried looking at the greenspace in my area for the location of plant species at risk on the map. They are not public because they are species at risk but they are my observations - so at this time I can only see them there.

ARRRGGGHHH! They don’t show up even on a map made of “my observations”. Therefore, even though the trail makers have a map of proposed trails there cannot be a quick overlay of maps saying whooooppps!!! that is not a good place for a trail. Of for the geocachers who have maps online of the geocache locations, there is not a way to overlay a map of endangered species and reach out to the geocacher community and inform them of the species at risk and wonder if the geocache site could possibly be relocated.

So, in my signed in profile I can see the locations where i observed the species at risk, but not on the map. The plants are only easy to see in June for locations. So, sigh there is no way to easily alert the other groups of overlap unless I methodically open up each and every one of the observations, and somehow placing them into a different online GPS map one by one to see if any overlap the geocaching or trail proposals.

Am I missing something? It would be so so nice if I could privately open up all my endangered flowers on a GPS map for such comparisons to afford them protections from the geocaching or the trail footprint increase of users.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @saskatoonafforestationareas - if I’m understanding your post correctly, there’s an open feature request for being able to see your own obscured locations on the maps: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/view-true-locations-on-maps-for-observations-with-trusted-hidden-coordinates/2568

If you use the Edit Observations page, you can search a view small batches at a time of your observations’ true locations. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/saskatoonafforestationareas Zoom in and “Redo search in map area” and the pink pins are the true locations. To narrow it down to ones that are being automatically obscured, add &taxon_geoprivacy=obscured to the end of the URL once you redo search in map area. You can also export your data and use mapping software to view the true locations.

3 Likes

You can fairly easily export your observations as a spreadsheet file (with coordinates) and upload those into Google MyMaps. The added advantage here is that you can also add other features to the map in addition to your observations.

In case you might not already know, here’s how to filter your observations for threatened species
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?threatened&user_id=saskatoonafforestationareas (so you could filter by that, and then export those observations).

5 Likes

Thank you kindly

This is wonderful also. Thanks very much.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.