Species range creep from misidentifications

I suggested these two interventions on the location data thread:

1. Require location data to be entered before ID. When uploading via the desktop site, ID is the first field and location the third. Therefore AI can’t offer “Seen nearby” because it doesn’t know where the observation is.

I became aware of this when I got a new camera that didn’t have GPS and have to now enter my positions manually. Beforehand the metadata in the photo was automatically entered before the ID.

1. AI should offer suggestions preferably to family, or genus at the most. It should not offer species-level suggestions.
5 Likes

@jane_trembath, good thinking with the location-before-ID suggestion! That might be why, in some of the observations I was looking at, Oxalis drummondii was no longer being suggested by Computer Vision.

BTW I’m realizing now that I should have taken a screenshot of the Oxalis drummondii observations I was seeing proliferate globally like @brandonwoo did - it appears some kind-hearted soul or souls has gone about fixing them. But now my original post doesn’t make as much sense.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.