Spooky organisms

I think we have to discuss Camponotus, you know… in light of that photo.

4 Likes

In case anyone’s wondering, any writer that calls the red things at the antennal bases eyes is either a liar or a pea-brain.

To us, orbweavers look like Ritz crackers, so this would be a Halloween edition: https://www.ritzcrackers.com/recipes/ritz-peanut-butter-spiders-216633.aspx

4 Likes

I only have seen a lot of “cute or terrifying?” type coverage, which I found a surprising angle, but I admit I do not know what the red things are even as I know they are not the eyes, being familiar enough with ants to know that much, at least. What are they?

I’m not entirely sure myself. Seems to be a rarely mentioned anatomical feature.

It’s just a basal antennal segment.

4 Likes

Thanks, Marina!

1 Like

You’re welcome, it’s a terrifying photo!.)

1 Like

AGREE. I was bitten by an ant on my thigh the night before that photo hit the news. I immediately put Colgate on it (I do not know the science but the original formula, not whitening or gel or anything extra) which took the sting out and lowered the itch tremendously but of did not completely remove it like it does with mosquito bites. When I saw the photo, I showed my husband and said LOOK. HOW CAN COLGATE COMPETE.

Terrible photo, stuff of nightmares, hahaha.

1 Like

And on that note, I’m surprised nobody mentioned guarana, also known as the eyeball vine:

(https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10986512)

7 Likes

Aaaaaaaand then we have semelparous salmonids!

For a long time I kind of just assumed that salmon dying after reproduction just Quietly Passed Away From Sudden Aging. Not true.

Metabolic self-poisoning kills them. Their organs begin shutting down from sheer stress and fungi grow all over them and it’s horrible. One research paper even dared to say it was p much Cushing’s Disease.

…Rather intriguingly, a number of non-semelparous salmonids show milder but analogous symptoms during reproduction.

3 Likes

Stalachtis halloweeni - the only Halloween themed butterfly

3 Likes

Wow!
They’re not closely related, but Euonymus verrucosus looks a bit similar - like an orange eye with a black pupil.

2 Likes

Whatever is making this noiise: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/138324069 :open_mouth:

1 Like

Sounds like a bobcat to me

Example of similar calls

Or it could be a mountain lion if you want to be controversial (or a ghost of a mountain lion if you want to be spooky and sad)

1 Like

I’m a bit surprised no one’s mentioned evolutionary anachronisms yet.

Giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) and manchineel (Hippomane mancinella) for their toxins!

Black witch moth (Ascalapha odorata)… a big black moth with a spooky name! Some fascinating and spooky folklore to go with them too if you look into it. I had the pleasure of seeing them in Morelos.

I’m sure most people find parasitism to be at least a little spooky. Zombie ant fungus (Ophiocordyceps unilateralis), the green-banded broodsac (Leucochloridium paradoxum), and tarantula hawks (Tribe Pepsini) have attracted significant attention and notoriety for their unique behavior.

There are definitely more I can’t recall right now as I’m a bit sleepy. Might have to make a second post later!

1 Like

Those nighttime shrieks made by the barn owl can be pretty spooky.

2 Likes

Completely forgot about this one but it’s an absolute great in terms of spooky animals… very gross.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.