"Save and add another observation" to streamline adding obs from mobile

A “Save and add another” button at the bottom of the observation edit screen would be a huge improvement to my field experience using the iNat Android app.

Also, 99+% of the time I add a new observation from the app, I take a photo rather than choose an image from the gallery. I would like to be able to default to “Take Photo” rather than have to select it every time I add an observation. Looks like this is already the default option on iOS. Clicking “Save and add another” could then immediately open the camera again, shaving off a few steps.

Current steps to create two observations on Android:

1. Tap “(+)” to add observation
  2. Tap “Take photo”
  3. Take the photo
  4. OK
  5. Add other info, tap tiny check mark to save in far top right corner
  6. Tap “(+)” to add observation
  7. Tap “Take Photo”
  8. Take the photo
  9. OK
  10. Add other info, tap tiny check mark to save in far top right corner

Preferred steps to create two observations:

1. Tap “(+)” to add observation
  2. Take the photo
  3. OK
  4. Add other info, tap big “Save and add another” button
  5. Take the photo
  6. OK
  7. Add other info, tap big “Save” button

Alternatively, this design would also be faster for me to create a new observation, if it’s not possible to default to taking a photo when creating a new observation

(Though scrap all this because a live form of computer vision like Seek 2.0, with manual ID input options on the camera view, combined with GPS tracking is my real request :star_struck:)

Revisiting this as I queue up some more Android work. Is the usability and workflow any better with the bottom toolbar on the obs form (added since the OP)? I don’t love the idea of adding a “Save and Add Another” button because that’s more screen real estate than I think this functionality deserves if we use text, and very hard to indicate with clear semantics if we use an icon.

Other ideas:

1. Long press on the green “+” button opens the camera directly
  2. Add a default action for the green button in Preferences, so you could choose to have it always open the camera, or the sound recorder, or a blank obs form. In this case, maybe a long press would show the current slide-up menu
1 Like

I prefer the new setup but I’d consider option 2 an upgrade.

1 Like